ConocoPhilips offers energy grant

Beth Dunham

Iowa State will receive $22.5 million for biorenewables and bioeconomy research over the next eight years as part of a new partnership with the energy company ConocoPhillips.

The grant was announced at a press conference Tuesday during the “Community Futures: The Small Town In the Bioeconomy” summit in the Scheman Building. The funding will provide $1.5 million for 2007 research and $3 million for each following year.

“[This announcement] is exciting for Iowa State, but also for all of Iowa,” said President Gregory Geoffroy. “The bioeconomy is a major priority for Iowa State University, for Governor Culver, for Iowa, for our nation; and to be successful, it must be a partnership involving Iowa’s elected leaders; our educational institutions; our business, community, agriculture and commodity leaders and the people of Iowa.”

Gov. Chet Culver, who earlier in the morning gave the keynote address at the summit, has made biorenewable energy a major issue in regards to Iowa’s development.

“During my inaugural address, I laid out my vision for the future of the state: One Iowa, with unlimited potential,” Culver said. “Simply stated, the only way for Iowa to succeed is if we build one Iowa, where people of different backgrounds come together and work for the common good. By doing so, we will be able to create an unlimited future for everyone.”

Culver stressed the importance of Iowa State’s research and thanked the faculty and staff for their continued work.

“We are a state that has long valued the importance of research and development of new technology for our crops, and Iowa State has led the way,” Culver said. “You’re the ones on the frontlines every day making us all look good when it comes to leading the nation in this important area. The innovative ideas and groundbreaking research in renewable energy that takes place here at Iowa State follows in the tradition of George Washington Carver and Henry Wallace; much like their ideas, the research keeps ISU on the cutting edge of discovery and will impact the lives of potentially millions of people around the world.”

He added that partnerships between public and private entities would expedite the process of bringing emerging technologies into widespread use.

“This represents the first of what I am sure will be many partnerships that will make Iowa the renewable energy capital of the world,” Culver said.

Geoffroy said many of Culver’s and his ideals were the same, with the state of Iowa and Iowa State at the forefront of the renewable fuels industry.

“Our vision is simple: to make Iowa the world center in the emerging bioeconomy, and that vision is achievable because Iowa has so many distinct advantages,” Geoffroy said. “I am very proud to list Iowa State University as one of Iowa’s strategic advantages. We have made biorenewables and strengthening the bioeconomy one of our top priorities, and we are one of the world’s leading research universities in biorenewables.”

Geoffroy also agreed that strategic partnerships between research institutions and business entities would bring new technology to consumers faster.

“Our efforts are aimed at innovative research and developing the new products and processes to fuel the bioeconomy,” Geoffroy said. “But it’s up to the private sector – entrepreneurs, small businesses and major corporations – to commercialize these products and bring them to the marketplace. That’s most effective as a partnership.”

Ryan Lance, ConocoPhillips senior vice president for technology and major projects, said Iowa State was chosen for the grant for several reasons, including numerous existing biorenewables research achievements and its ability to compete with institutions around the globe.

“We’ve looked in Europe, we’ve looked at various universities around the world, and we think Iowa State’s ahead of the game,” Lance said. “Clearly, [Iowa State’s] focus on science and technology has led to many research patents in the field and many mentions. It has also made this university a leader in the search for economical and environmentally sound energy solutions.”

Lance said Iowa State’s ability to draw new talent was also a deciding factor.

“This program attracts some of the finest young minds in the field,” Lance said. “In fact, [Iowa State] was the first university to offer a graduate program in this particular field. We’re hopeful that some of these scholars will come join ConocoPhillips when they decide to enter the workplace.”

Lance outlined the goals the grant was designed to facilitate. The projects are aimed at finding a broader mix of energy sources, improving efficiency and promoting innovative research and development, all against a backdrop of conscientious environmental stewardship.

“So whatever we do, we have to keep the environment in mind and recognize our presence here on the earth and the burning of fossil fuels does create a change in the environment,” Lance said.

Ruth Harkin, member of the Iowa Board of Regents and the ConocoPhillips board of directors, was an instrumental figure in encouraging the partnership.

“I’m very delighted and proud of the ConocoPhillips commitment in making this major investment in Iowa,” Harkin said. “I believe that public-private partnerships are essential to the growth of Iowa’s economy.”

The work of both Iowa State and ConocoPhillips are directed at the same challenges, she said.

“To me, Iowa State and ConocoPhillips are a perfect combination and a perfect fit to be working here together,” Harkin said.

Much of the biorenewables research conducted at Iowa State involves Robert Brown, director of the Center for Sustainable Environmental Technology.

“The opportunities in the emerging bioeconomy are breathtaking; so are the challenges,” Brown said. “Can agriculture meet the demands for both food and fuel in the United States? How will we transport and store the huge quantities of biomass needed to produce biofuels? Which biochemical and thermochemical conversion technologies will prevail in advanced biorefineries based on cellulosic feed stock? How can we maximize economic benefits to rural communities while minimizing damage to the environment?”

Brown said the grant would fund a variety of projects, including those examining thermochemical and biochemical approaches, conversion technologies and environmental and economic impacts. He said much of the research would involve graduate and even undergraduate students – a typical scenario for Iowa State, although the amount of undergraduate student involvement surprised ConocoPhillips representatives during discussions about the grant.

“This is going to be a very large portfolio of projects,” Brown said. “Twenty-two-and-a-half million dollars goes a long way at a university.”

Brown deeply thanked the support that state and ConocoPhillips officials have provided for ISU faculty and staff.

“I speak for many colleagues when I say that we are grateful for the faith of our state and university leadership that they’ve placed in us in the last five years,” Brown said. “We’re also extremely gratified for this opportunity to partner with a leading energy company on an important energy problem, and we’re ready to go to work.”

Geoffroy, responding to Lance’s congratulations for the university’s upcoming sesquicentennial anniversary, jokingly referred to the multimillion-dollar gift as “the best birthday present we’ve received so far.”