Be prepared for winter weather travel

Chelsea Desousa

Driving in winter weather can create frustration, anxiety and downright fear. Inevitably, some will end up stranded by a car malfunction or helplessly barricaded in a snow-filled ditch. Therefore, being prepared for these winter driving mishaps is essential.

FYI consulted several students on what items they keep in their cars during these snowy months. Here are six must-haves for the car according to students.

1. Blankets

Staying warm is crucial when you’re stranded, so it is a good idea to have one or more blankets in the trunk.

“I always have two just to be safe,” said Brian Drefke, freshman in pre-business. Laura Hill, junior in psychology, received a Red Cross first aid kit for her car. The kit contained a flame-resistant blanket, which Hill said, helps hold in heat.

2. Outerwear

Having the proper winter clothing and accessories is also essential to keeping warm and comfortable. Throw a set of coveralls, mittens, a hat and other winter clothing in the trunk. And if you must, go ahead and splurge on that extra pair of Uggs for the car as well.

3. Food and water

Eventually your stomach will growl and your tastebuds will desire something more than handfuls of snow – probably not the best for you anyway. To satisfy hunger, have some snacks like candy bars or nutrition bars in the car.

Adrienne Jacobson, freshman in pre-veterinary medicine, recommends keeping food in the glove compartment. “You’d rather have food in the car than in the trunk because you’ll never get it out of the trunk,” Jacobson said.

Also remember to have water stashed somewhere in the car to keep you hydrated.

4. Sandbags and defrost devices

Having sandbags, kitty litter and defrost devices can also be beneficial. Drefke said he uses sandbags to keep traction in his rear-wheel drive 1980 Impala.

“I’ve literally got about 170 pounds of sand [in my car],” Drefke said. “If I don’t have sandbags, I don’t have traction.”

Adam Godwin, sophomore in psychology, purchased a giant spotlight that can defrost cars and roads.

“It can melt anything,” Godwin said.

He bought the heavy duty spotlight at Target for about $25.

5. A fully charged cell phone

Almost everyone has a cell phone, but is it charged? If you habitually forget to charge your cell, consider buying a car charger so that you never have to deal with a dying phone. Being stranded is certainly bad enough.

6. A distraction

Don’t get frustrated, get distracted. Have some cards or an iPod in the car to take your mind off the situation at hand. Before you know it, you’ll be out of the ditch and back on the road.