Magazine may offer class credit

Chelsea Reynolds

Last fall, the only fashion magazine on campus, Trend, released its debut issue. One semester later, the magazine’s future is rapidly changing course. Trend is currently an on-campus, student-run publication and club. Next fall, students may be able to contribute to the magazine in exchange for academic credit.

Tanya Austin, lecturer of family and consumer sciences education and studies, is in charge of the proposal to offer credit hours for work on the magazine. If the College of Human Sciences and university curriculum committees approve the class’s objectives, it will be added to the course catalog and offered for registration for the fall 2007 semester. Austin, who has a background in graphic communications, will teach the course.

“The class will be available to upper-level students who have declared a major in either textiles and clothing; hotel, restaurant, and institution management; family consumer education studies; or who have approval from the instructor,” she said. “Our long-term vision is to embrace all disciplines.”

If approved, this experimental class will be listed as a 300-level apparel, educational studies and hospitality management course. It will be offered for two to four academic credits per semester, based on student experience and contribution to the magazine.

“The higher number of credits you take, the more leadership responsibilities you will have,” Austin said.

The course will focus on composition, media ethics and opportunism. It will also offer both print and Web-based media experience. Fashion will be the focus of the magazine, although articles on subjects such as travel, wellness and food will also be published.

Sara Kadolph, professor of textiles and clothing, reminds prospective class members that the real goal of the class is to help students understand how fashion journalism fits in to the “big picture.”

Kadolph said students who have actively been involved in Iowa State’s fashion club, Moda, or in Trend would be ideal candidates for this course. Any student in the College of Human Sciences who is interested in writing and fashion is also encouraged to consider registration if the course is approved.

However, current members

of the Trend magazine club have expressed concern over the potential change from a club to a class.

“If it’s offered as a class, you get a teacher telling you what to do . It’s a better learning experience when you do it on your own,” said Mina Issa, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production.

She also noted that membership in a club can be added to resume, whereas participation in a class cannot.

Anne Brooker, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production agrees.

“I like that it’s a student-run publication,” she said.

Kadolph acknowledges the potential problems associated with the course.

“There may be difficulty with enrollment issues,” she said.

She also worries about the lack of student diversity within the classroom.

If enrollment is limited primarily to students in the College of Human Sciences, the magazine may lack variety.

“In a fashion magazine,” Kadolph said, “we don’t want one perspective, we want multiple perspectives.”

Austin said Trend magazine currently has approximately 80 members from multiple majors and backgrounds.

The size of the proposed class will be limited to fewer than 50 human sciences students in its first semester, but she is confident that the course will be a success.

“Students will come out of this experience with real hands-on learning,” Austin said.

She also maintains that the course may help students develop a professional portfolio, which could possibly be included in a resume.

As a club, Trend offers an array of student contributors necessary to produce a successful magazine.

If offered for credit, Trend’s persona could be drastically altered.

Austin hopes there will still be a Trend club to undertake issues and contribute to the magazine if the experimental course application is approved, but she cannot be sure of the publication’s future.