Gospel Extravaganza unites community through song

Sade Carpenter

People of all ages and races filled the Great Hall of the Memorial Union on Friday in the name of celebrating through gospel music.

The Black History Month Gospel Choir Extravaganza featured four choirs that performed an array of gospel music, ranging in style from traditional to modern.

Sponsored by CONNECT student organization, the Committee on Lectures and New Birth Baptist Church, the concert opened with a moment of silence, followed by a performance of the Black National Anthem, “Lift Every Voice and Sing.”

“I love it, I love hearing people sing,” said Fiorella Zegarra, freshman in business, and New Birth Baptist choir member.

The New Birth Baptist Church Choir performed a medley of songs, including portions of “This is the Day,” and “Hosanna,” during which audience members participating by singing, clapping and dancing.

The Gospel Soul Innovators of the Body of Christ Christian Worship Center (BCC) also performed, and despite an initial piano malfunction, they recovered and executed three songs. Fusing hip-hop and rock, the up-tempo song “No One Like You” was well received by the audience.

“It was great,” said Austin Green, freshman in electrical engineering. “I was surprised.”

Denise Wilkes, resident of Ames and Iowa State alumna, is a member of the BCC’s D.A.V.I.D. (Divine Anointing Via Inspired Dance) and performed an interpretive dance.

Restoration & Prayze Gospel Choir performed next, opening with “Total Praise.”

Although there were approximately 25 choir members, they sang with the power of a much larger choir and received a standing ovation.

Restoration & Prayze is a combination of several Des Moines church members, and was established in April of 2004.

“One of the special things about the choir is we’re so diverse,” said Barry Jones, director and founder of Restoration & Prayze.

Providing Restoration & Prayze with a break, the New Birth Children’s Choir sang two songs.

CONNECT created a tutoring program that some of the children in the choir participate in.

The program includes around 15 kids, and has between 10 and 15 tutors.

“We need more undergraduates [to be tutors],” said Michelle Talbott, president of CONNECT and graduate student in interdisciplinary graduate studies.

Closing the concert, Restoration & Prayze performed four more songs and received its second standing ovation of the night.

“They were amazing,” said Jessi Faith, senior in marketing. Audience members had the chance to give an offering to benefit the Ames Emergency Residence Project, a homeless shelter, before proceeding to a reception complete with punch and cake.

“It was just a really beautiful cultural event,” said Bob Anders, Ames resident and U.S. Bank manager. “It brings people together and shows the healing power of music.”