A night full of medieval fun

Rusty Anderson

Welcome, lords, ladies and princely guests, to our annual feast of the new year. The town crier takes his place amid the guests, welcoming them all to the home of King James, portrayed by Donald Simonson, and this year’s queen, Elizabeth Dahlstrom, for a night of lavish entertainment through song, dance and food. It is a new year and it is time for the 42nd annual Madrigal Dinner, presented by the ISU music department and directed by James Rodde, professor of music.

The dinner has seen growing success in the past and this year is no different, already nearly selling out both nights.

“To be going into this point with just having 60 seats left for Friday is good,” Rodde said.

Rodde is entering his seventh year with Iowa State and the madrigal dinner, though he has been directing madrigals annually since 1985, and his excitement for them continues to grow through his love for the music.

An interesting part of the dinner is how much effort is put into it by the students who perform in it, especially the choirs.

The madrigal dinner divides the highly acclaimed Iowa State Singers into three smaller ensembles, which are then directed by students who Rodde personally selected.

In addition to the larger ensembles, the students also take great pride in forming smaller strolling minstrel groups. These groups average between four to eight members who entertain the guests during and after their meals.

“As a performer, it really helps to see the response from all the people who you can really tell enjoy what you’re doing,” said Thomas Neuerburg, junior in music and the court jester in this year’s show.

Although the choir does a great deal of the work, there are many other positions to be filled with such a large event, and the dinner would not be complete without the help of all the others that volunteer their time and talents, such as the ensemble group Musica Antiqua.

The members of Musica Antiqua first introduced themselves in 1967, sharing their love for the music of the ages and earning countless praises from numerous associations, such as the Perry Fine Arts Association and the Bluffs Arts Council. With its many members, Musica Antiqua boasts talents in dance, instrumental and vocal music. Each year the Musica Antiqua graces the madrigal dinner with beautiful music, whether it be from the vocal styling of the Music Men – Paul Anderson, Randy Compton, Randy Griffith, Sam Wormley and Kendal Kline – or from Carl Bleyle, Dee Dreeszen, Steve Kelleher and many others on their instruments of the ages. In addition, Janice Baker and her team of dance students entertain the dinner guests.

Though the talent flows through all of those who volunteer their time for the annual dinners, it would all be in vain if it were not for a much larger factor: the guests. It is the endless support and passion of those who attend the annual dinner that has kept its success on the rise. They include students, faculty, family, friends and many others who come from near and far – many dressed in period attire – with eager eyes, ears and most important, stomachs.

“It’s not your average night out, it’s not your average date with a loved one. It’s something fun and unique that you get to go to, have good food, and just have a really good time,” said Melissa Day, senior in music.