‘Guitar Hero’ video game provides new gaming hooks, fun exercise

Jon Paul

People without video-game skills have a reason to turn on their PlayStations, and people without music abilities can feel like rock gods.

“It’s nice to see a video game that has the type of music that I listen to – let alone be able to play it,” said Lee Grimm, freshman in chemistry.

In November 2005, “Guitar Hero” was released and challenged the norm for video gaming. Instead of a handheld controller, gamers played a plastic replica of a Gibson guitar. Instead of a joystick, they had a strum bar.

In November, “Guitar Hero II” quickly became the second best-selling game for PlayStation 2.

A third installment of the game is expected for late 2007 or early 2008. So far, “Guitar Hero” is only offered for PlayStation 2, but look for versions for Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii in the future.

To play the “Guitar Hero” games, one uses colored fret buttons on the guitar-shaped controller to play the corresponding notes that scroll down the screen. Points are given when correct notes are played, and bonuses are earned by playing long series of correct notes, as well as when the player successfully uses the whammy bar.

The game has breached so far into pop culture that some musicians play the game before shows.

Shane Lucas, sophomore in history, plays “Guitar Hero” on a regular basis, although he doesn’t usually play a lot of video games.

“I play the bass, and I like that the action of playing the game is similar to actually playing an instrument,” Lucas said. “Plus, the soundtrack is sweet.”

“Guitar Hero” does not come without risk, however. Detroit Tigers pitcher Joel Zumaya sat out three games because of injuries related to “Guitar Hero.” On campus, the game can occupy all of a student’s time.

“When my boyfriend starts playing “Guitar Hero,” there isn’t much time for me,” said Claire Davison, freshman in pre-biological/pre-medical illustration.