Music virtuoso to perform in Ames, expectations high

Chelsea Desousa

Among musicians, there are very few who possess a truly innate musical ability. Grammy Award-winning violinist Joshua Bell is one of them.

Bell, who has played for audiences around the world, is scheduled to perform at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Stephens Auditorium.

“We are thrilled to have Grammy Award-winner Joshua Bell play at Stephens Auditorium,” said Patti Cotter, performing arts programming manager for the Iowa State Center.

“This exciting, young musician has an incredible stage presence and will create truly beautiful music.”

James Hannon, assistant professor of music and conductor of the ISU Symphony Orchestra, is part of the organization bringing Bell to Iowa State, and said he will be attending the concert.

“He’s one of the superstars of the classical music world,” said Hannon. “He was amazing at 18, and he’s been able to sustain his career and grow to artistic maturity.”

Bell first emerged into the music scene at age 14 after winning the Seventeen Magazine/General Motors National Concerto Competition in Rochester, N.Y. Soon after, he appeared as a soloist with the Philadelphia Orchestra. In 1985, he made his Carnegie Hall debut with the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra.

Bell began recording at age 18 and played mostly classical violin pieces.

He eventually expanded his repertoire to include songs from musicals, as found on his album “West Side Story Suite.”

His 30 recordings have earned him three Grammy Awards and an Emmy Award for Best Classical Music-Dance Program.

Bell also played for the score in the film “The Red Violin,” has appeared on television programs and was named one of the 50 Most Beautiful People by People magazine.

Cotter commented on the rare opportunity to observe an artist such as Bell.

“To see someone who also plays at Carnegie Hall in New York and the Royal Albert Hall in London is an unusual treat for Ames and an amazing value for under $45,” Cotter said.

Students can pay even less with half-price tickets funded by the Government of the Student Body.

Bell’s reputation and upcoming performance in Ames this Friday have been attracting some attention across campus. Many ISU students and faculty plan on attending Bell’s concert and are encouraging others to go as well.

“He’s phenomenal in just about every aspect,” said Alexander Brosseau, sophomore in music. “It should be a very good concert.”

Samantha McCurry, senior in music, noted Bell’s ability to play vocal music on the violin.

“His stuff is pretty interesting to me. It’s really cool how he uses the violin to imitate a vocal line,” McCurry said.

For those still undecided about attending the performance, Cotter has some advice.

“I would encourage students to check out Joshua Bell’s Web site, www.joshuabell.com,” Cotter said. “I think getting a taste of this fantastic music will whet their appetite for a concert they will love.”