Wii want one

Brian Hooyman

When most think of video gamers, images of a couch potato playing “Halo” for days on end comes to mind. All of that is about to change.

From the Atari to the PlayStation 2, consoles have grown hand-in-hand with technology. However, there has been little innovation behind the idea of the first controllers to those of today. Yet, with a bold new strategy from Nintendo, the identity of who is considered a gamer is being challenged.

Recently Nintendo exploded onto the scene with its new console, the Wii (pronounced “we”) and is stirring up quite a bit of noise in the industry because of its revolutionary controller and console design, dubbing it the Nintendo Touch System.

The Wii is controlled by the gamer with a motion-sensitive controller known as the “Wiimote.” The controllers contain a three-axis motion sensor that translates movement directly onto the TV – meaning to steer a car, a player must use the controller like a steering wheel. This control scheme is designed to be intuitive and immerse the gamer in whatever game they are playing.

On the ISU campus, the controller has been a hit.

“I love it,” said Shauna Flynn, freshman in music. “It’s hard to go back to nonmotion controllers because it makes you feel much more in the game.”

Apart from the interactive controller, some experts feel that this new system, which relies on players standing up and moving around to play, could be beneficial to their health.

“I think [Wii] has the potential to revolutionize video gaming, as well as the effects they may have,” said Douglas Gentile, assistant professor of psychology. “For example, there are starting to be studies suggesting that the amount of time kids play video games is related to their risk of obesity. The Wii may change all that, because the kids won’t only be sedentary while playing.”

While the Wii may sound revolutionary, it isn’t hitting its stride with seasoned gamers who prefer top-end graphics and popular game titles rather than a new way to play.

“I’m debating which system is the best out of Xbox 360 or the PS3,” said Diego Recinos, freshman in pre-business. “The PS3, while more expensive than the 360, offers Blu-ray technology and the core processor. In addition, games available at launch aren’t very impressive and don’t utilize the full potential of the PS3.”

Recinos said there are advantages to the Xbox 360, however.

“The 360 on the other hand has been around for over year, is cheaper than the PS3, and has exclusive rights to ‘Halo 3.’ My major complaint is that the 360 doesn’t feel next-generation] enough,” he said. “I almost think of it as a ‘souped-up’ Xbox where as the PS3 is revolutionary in comparison to the PS2.”

Following Nintendo’s lead, Sony is also taking a chance utilizing the same style of control. The PS3 offers a SIXAXIS controller that is not as advanced as the Wii’s, but still offers some of the same playing styles.

Although Nintendo isn’t making sales with the usual demographic, it is attracting younger children, adults and baby boomers.

Gamers have seemed willing to overlook the dated graphics of the Wii, in exchange for waving their hands around instead of tapping buttons.

Xbox 360 made a surprising outcome during the holiday season despite the release of Nintendo Wii and PS3. According to Gadgetell.com, the Xbox 360 outsold both the Wii and PS3.

This could be explained by the short supply of both Nintendo and Sony’s consoles, said Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director at Jupiter Research.

The Wii sells for around $250. Including sales of accessories and games, Nintendo’s Wii-related revenue had hit $190 million since the machine’s Nov.19 release.