Cravings in Campustown

Rusty Anderson

The time is 1:45 a.m. as the sidewalks of Welch Avenue flood with students looking for something to eat. Their bodies are wired with alcohol, and their stomachs are yearning for that final late night sustenance – something to soak up the excess alcohol and prevent tomorrow’s inevitable hangover.

With a plethora of choices ranging from subs to tacos, some students may be wondering, “What is the best late-night food in Campustown?” So FYI decided to help answer that question.

With empty stomachs and a little investigative journalism, we headed to Welch Avenue, the heart of Campustown nightlife, to probe the minds of fellow bar-goers. But after several slurred and mixed answers there is still no clear winner, although there sure are some rather tasty choices.ÿ

1. Jimmy John’s

Most Popular: “Turkey Tom, no sprouts”

This Campustown sensation was started by Jimmy John Liautaud, who graduated second-to-last in his high school class but now has franchised 450 stores throughout the United States. Jimmy John’s offers a hefty choice of 16 different sub sandwiches, prepared so quick they sport the phrase, “Subs so fast you’ll freak.” A staple in the Campustown area, Jimmy John’s promises to please the senses with its fresh subs, as well as the eccentric atmosphere created by its student-run staff.

Q. What do you like most about Jimmy John’s?

A. “The crunch at the end, where the bread bakes to the side of the pan, is the best.”

Kendra Dern, frequent Campustown visitor

A. “Because its not that bad for you.”

Stephanie Fox, freshman in open option-LAS

2. Super Dog stand

Most Popular: “Super Dog”

The Super Dog stand is owned by Smiles & Gyros, but the Super Dog stand brings a completely different twist to the late-night food scene of Welch avenue. The colossal “Super Dog” takes its place as the most ordered item on the menu with its unique blend of sauces, bacon, cheese, chips and – of course – pineapple all packed in a bun. Since its arrival on Welch Avenue, the Super Dog stand seems to be a hit with Campustown bar-goers after a long night of drinking and dancing.

Q: Why did you choose a Super Dog?

A: “I have never woken up the next morning and thought, ‘Man. a gyro sounds really good,’ but a Super dog- that’s a completely different story.”

Salvador Delgado, senior in health and human performance

A: “It’s right on the way to my car.”

Chance Goddard, sophomore in engineering

3. Pita Pit

Most Popular: “Chicken Caesar Pita”

With a fun and laid back staff keeping the peace at the Pita Pit, who could pass up the opportunity to pick up a tasty pita? Founded in Ontario, Canada by John Satiriadis and Nelson Lang, the Pita Pit now boasts 220 franchise locations across the U.S. and Canada. They offer a wide variety of delectable pitas and falafels coupled with several choices of meats, cheeses and sauces to satisfy your appetite. For the adventurous type, try the baba ganoush, which we were told is like hummus with eggplant in it.

Q: Why is the Chicken Caesar Pita the most popular choice for the people who come in after drinking?

A: “It’s chicken, bacon and it’s the first thing on the list.”

David Jones, night manager at Pita Pit

Q: What is your best drunk story from working at the Pita Pit?

A: “I once had a guy try and pay with a Texas ID . Apparently it was going to be charged to the state of Texas.”

4. Smiles & Gyros

Most Popular: “Gyro/Chicken Gyro”

Regular, chicken, no veggie or little Tabasco. Frequently these words are spewed forth at the local gyro stand, Smiles & Gyros, on Welch Avenue as students try to find some hot food on the cold night. Since its debut, the stand has gained a near cult-like following among bar-goers in Campustown by filling that late night hunger with freshly prepared gyros and handing back change in its signature half dollars.

Q: Why do you think gyros are the best?ÿ

A: “Because it’s extremely tasty with light Tabasco . and when you’re extremely drunk!

Ashley Gibbs, junior in elementary education

Q: What kind of gyro do you usually get?ÿ

A: “Extra feta, no veggie, no condom . the condom is the little bag that they put around it, and I just rip it off and throw it away.”

Nathan Sanders, Ames resident

5. Estas

Most Popular: “Steak Tacos”

Home of the $3 Jager Bomb and the popular apple pie shot, Estas never ceases to attract the crowds for its drink specials, but the real hook is the tacos. Estas serves its patrons the option of drinks, shots and beers in addition to late night snacks such as burgers, cheese balls and tacos of many different varieties. Although the booze stops flowing at 2 a.m. like every other bar, the kitchen stays open until 3 a.m. just to satisfy your late night hunger.

Q: What is your favorite Estas late-night food?

A: “I have a very common response . Estas cheese balls!”

Carly Behncke, senior in communication studies

Q: Do you ever find yourself craving Estas the next morning?

A: “Most of the time before I go to bed, I have eaten an Estas cheeseburger or taco, so I don’t crave them the next morning at about two.”

Brian Beery, Ames resident