Cozy up with a good textbook

With Dead Week here and finals approaching, a certain sense of dread covers campus. Students are faced with never-ending papers and the task of sorting through infinite pages of notes in order to spit the information out for a two-hour exam. Whether a student is attempting to make the dean’s list or simply trying to pass an introductory geology class, students often have to force themselves to go some place other than their homes. The ISU campus and Ames community has a variety of student-friendly study spaces that don’t involve MTV reruns or the temptation of Facebook.

Where to find other students who can share your pain: College of Design

The College of Design Building, located on the west side of campus, is a hot spot for design students. This building also has a lot to offer students outside the college’s curriculum. Located near the main entrance is a small cyber cafe containing six Macintosh computers that are available at all hours of the day. The building also has wireless Internet. The Design Cafe, located near the cyber cafe, serves coffees, teas, soft drinks, sandwiches, soups and other snacks. This year, the cafe will be available for extended hours during dead week.

Hours: The main building is open 24 hours a day, and the Design Cafe is open 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m Friday.

The quiet, comfortable mainstay: Parks Library

Located in the center of campus, students of all majors can be found pounding away on computers or flipping through books. Recent renovations make the library a better place to study than ever before. The newly added Bookends Cafe offers snacks and a variety of caffeine-filled drinks for late-night studying. Depending on your needs, both group-oriented and quiet spaces can be found without looking too hard. Parks will also be offering extended hours during Dead Week and Finals Week.

Hours: Extended to 7:30 a.m. to midnight Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to midnight Saturday and Sunday.

When your stomach growls at 5 in the morning: Perkins, 325 S. Duff Ave.

A night owl’s paradise, Perkins has coffee, food and large tables for late-night studying. As one of the only 24-hour restaurants in Ames, it is also one of the few places that will allow smoking indoors. After 8:30 p.m. in specified sections, customers are allowed to smoke until 6 a.m. Perhaps the most tempting aspect of Perkins is its bottomless pot of coffee for a very low price. The staff is friendly and open to students, and the restaurant can sometimes be quieter than Parks Library.

Hours: Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week

For a relaxing drink to take off the edge: Stomping Grounds, 303 Welch Ave.

Located in the heart of Campustown, Stomping Grounds offers a unique atmosphere to get that last-minute term paper done. This coffee shop has a menu that includes an assortment of coffees and teas. Beer and wine are available if an adult study break is needed. A variety of snacks are also available for purchase. The area is smoke-free and offers its patrons free wireless Internet.

Hours: 7 a.m. to midnight Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to midnight Saturday and Sunday.

The 24-hour technology center: Durham Center

Mostly known for housing computer sales and support, the Durham Center can be utilized as a quiet study space. With three computer labs containing 105 fully equipped computers, there is a good chance there will be one open just for you. Although there are no options for study snacks, Parks Library and the Hub are located right outside the door.

Hours: There is at least one lab open at all hours during the day

None of these locations sound tempting? The Gerdin Business Building, Village Inn, 524 Lincoln Way, and the Memorial Union are also some places to consider. Word-of-mouth and an imagination are your best bets.