Pick-A-Prof teams up with Facebook

Megan Krueger

Two popular social Web sites have joined together to make students’ lives easier.

Students can link their Facebook and Pick-A-Prof accounts to see what classes their friends are in.

Now when students try to decide which section of a class to take, Pick-A-Prof will not only show them that the 2 p.m. class’s professor is tough, but also that their friend Susan is in the 4 p.m. class.

“It just gives you another option,” said Karen Bragg, Pick-A-Prof director of university relations. “Students look for different things when they’re registering for classes.”

She said Pick-A-Prof takes many student suggestions, e-mails and surveys. The idea to connect with Facebook came from one of those.

Pick-A-Prof is using the Facebook Development Platform, which lets college-targeted Web sites link to Facebook accounts.

Already connected to the site are dating, roommate matching and Sudoku Web sites.

A representative from Facebook was not available to comment on how a Web site gets access to the platform.

Some students seem unimpressed with the addition.

Allison Connell, freshman in art and design, hadn’t heard of Pick-A-Prof – the connection isn’t mentioned on Facebook. She said this didn’t really make Facebook bigger, because so many people already put their class information in their profiles.

She said might use it to help register – next year.

“It’s a little late now that I’ve already registered,” Connell said.

Bragg said once campus participation starts in the Facebook connections, the number of people linking their accounts will begin to skyrocket.