Last-minute stops draw large crowds

Fred Love

IOWA CITY – In the closing days of his campaign, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Chet Culver drummed up support on three college campuses during the weekend.

After visits to Drake University on Friday in Des Moines and a rally in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union on Saturday night, Culver participated in a rally at the Iowa City Pedestrian Mall featuring Barack Obama, D-Ill.

Obama encouraged Iowa Democrats to vote for Culver.

“I’m excited the baton will be passed from [Gov. Tom] Vilsack to someone with the same values and priorities,” Obama said.

Obama also called for a restoration of cuts made to federal student loan programs last spring.

“At a time when college degrees are more important than ever, why would Congress increase interest rates on student loans?” Obama said.

Republicans have defended the cuts, saying they affect lending institutions – not students.

In a visit to the ISU campus Saturday with Vilsack and Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, Culver said his trips to college campuses energize student voters, and he expects a strong student showing at the polls.

Culver said he thinks students more relate to his party more easily, but ISU Republicans President Donald McDowell, junior in political science, disagreed.

McDowell said Culver would continue to pursue policies initiated by Vilsack. He said the strategies proposed by 1st District representative Jim Nussle, Culver’s Republican opponent, stand the best chance of minimizing tuition hikes.

Nussle has emphasized the need for more advanced budgetary planning for the Iowa Board of Regents, a strategy he said can hold tuition increases to the rate of inflation.

Culver has promised $25 million in general operating allocations to the Regents should be become Iowa’s next governor.

Harkin criticized Republican leadership in Washington and described Nussle and President Bush as “joined at the hip for the last six years.”

Candidates for local and state offices also emphasized their Republican opponents as links to Washington.

Rep. Lisa Heddens, D-Ames, criticized her opponent John Griswold, senior in political science, for attending campaign events with Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa.

“I’m concerned with Congressman King’s willingness to cut taxes for the rich at the expense of things like education,” Heddens said.

Griswold defended King, but emphasized that his campaign stances are focused on the welfare of the 46nd District, which includes some of Ames.

“I do support Steve King. I think he’s a great congressman,” Griswold said. “But my stances are ones that I feel have always been about the district.”