The votes are in

Beth Dunham

Amid the hundreds of screaming, chanting and clapping supporters that filled the ballroom of the Hotel Fort Des Moines, Chet Culver and Patty Judge took the stage as the next governor and lieutenant governor of Iowa.

“Iowa has sent a very loud and clear message they want a governor with Iowa values and Iowa common sense,” Judge said. “They told us they want Chet Culver for governor.”

Democrats gained control of the Iowa House, Senate and governor’s office on Tuesday night. The three-fold Democrat win was the first in 42 years.

Culver took the time to thank his supporters, campaign staff, running mate and wife as he addressed the crowd of several hundred Democrats.

“I used to teach history here in Des Moines at Hoover High School,” Culver said. “Well tonight, with your help, we’ve made history!”

Throughout the Culver campaign, his supporters have repeatedly touted his experience in education as well as in the statehouse as proof of his ability to lead the state forward.

Alice Boyd, a fourth-grade teacher at Cattell Elementary School in Des Moines for 33 years, agreed with that assertion. She sported a bright yellow “Educators for Culver” T-shirt on election night and was excited for the results.

“[No Child Left Behind] was the worst thing that ever happened. Most people that voted for it didn’t even read it,” Boyd said.

She hoped the new legislature would rework NCLB or support it with more funding.

Elliot Uhl, senior in aerospace engineering, attended the celebration. Although he admitted that he has usually voted Republican, Uhl said he voted for Culver because of his running mate, Patty Judge.

“I really appreciate the work that she’s done,” Uhl said.

Brian Conely, a 1975 ISU political science and economics alumnus, knew Culver’s father and had nothing but praise for Culver.

“He’s a good guy, that big lug. He’s a good man,” Conely said.

Conely said he was glad students were actively involved in campaigning and other political activity during this election.

“Back after Vietnam, a lot of kids were involved,” Conely said, “But Generation X didn’t care. With this nonsense in Iraq, hopefully more young people will care.”

Conely dove into politics while at Iowa State and got involved in Sen. Tom Harkin’s first campaign in 1972, following Harkin to Washington D.C. after his win in 1974.

“It was a gas,” Conely said. “The whole staff was Iowa State students.”

Des Moines Area Community College students Amy Kotval and Ellen Vanderlinden got involved in this year’s election by volunteering with Planned Parenthood of Iowa. Planned Parenthood endorsed the pro-choice Culver campaign.

“I’m pretty confident that change will happen,” Kotval said. “A lot of people are sick of the way things are and want things to change for the better.”

Both Kotval and Vanderlinden were also involved with the 2004 John Kerry presidential campaign.

“It’s not a normal 20- or 21-year-old thing,” Vanderlinden said. “We’re both really passionate about politics.”

Other Iowa Democrat officials attended the raucous, joyous celebration, including current Gov. Tom Vilsack and Lt. Gov. Sally Pederson.

“How sweet it is,” Vilsack said.

Vilsack recalled the eight years the Democrats spent on the journey to retake control of Iowa and thanked supporters for all their hard work.

“While it’s always great to be a Democrat, some nights are better than others,” said Harkin as the crowd celebrated the national victories also enjoyed by the Democratic Party.