‘Hardball’ to broadcast from campus

Jon Avise

Iowa State will get a sneak preview of the 2008 presidential campaign season next week – even as the state digs in for the stretch of this fall’s midterm elections.

U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., – mentioned often as a possible 2008 presidential candidate – will be on campus Wednesday with cable television network MSNBC’s Chris Matthews for a live broadcast of the political analysis show “Hardball with Chris Matthews.”

The show, which is seen nationally, will broadcast live from Stephens Auditorium at 4 p.m. Doors will open at 3:15 p.m. and admission is free, said ISU lectures program manager Patricia Miller.

“We’re really pleased, about ‘Hardball’s’ visit,” Miller said. “Every election cycle we have opportunities like this, and it’s nice to take advantage of it.”

Students will have opportunities to ask McCain and host Matthews questions and will have seats reserved for them closest to the stage, Miller said.

Matthews and his guest McCain will be in Ames as part of MSNBC’s College Hardball Tour, which has taken the daily one-hour show to schools across the country such as Harvard, Georgetown and Notre Dame. Miller said it’s a “safe bet” the network contacted Iowa State because of Iowa’s first-in-the-nation caucuses every four years.

“It’s an opportunity for everybody to be part of the discussion and hear Senator McCain, who has never spoken here before,” Miller said. “And also to have students get involved.”