Kerry kicks off political action week

Fred Love

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., implored a gathering of several hundred students to vote in the upcoming midterm election Monday morning on the Central Campus lawn.

The 2004 Democratic nominee for president, who spoke as part of Political Action Week, a nonpartisan effort to encourage student involvement in politics funded by the Government of the Student Body, emphasized the importance of student participation in national elections.

“If young people who know better refuse to take part, we’ve got a problem,” he said.

Kerry, a four-term Massachusetts senator up for re-election this year, compared the political environment on today’s college campuses with that of the 1960s, saying the military draft instituted during the Vietnam War sparked activism among students that is absent at today’s universities.

He attacked the Bush administration on its handling of the war in Iraq and agreed with the assertion made in a classified U.S. intelligence assessment leaked to the press in late August that military action in Iraq has increased the number of terrorists in the Middle East.

“Since 9/11 to today, there are more terrorists in the world who want to kill Americans than there were in the world before 9/11,” Kerry said.

“That’s a failed policy.”

He also called for increased funding for the development of renewable energy sources and less focus on oil and gasoline.

Although mostly concerned with promoting Democratic candidates for the Nov. 7 midterm elections, Kerry said he hasn’t ruled out another run at the presidency in 2008.

“Whether or not I throw my hat in the ring again will be decided over the next three or four months,” he said.

Eric Lindstrom, senior in political science and Political Action Week coordinator, said this week’s events differ from past efforts to involve students in politics because of its attempt to include students with no political interests.

“Most previous events have been lectures events,” Lindstrom said. “People who come to lectures have already been interested in politics.”

Most of Political Action Week takes place on Central Campus, Lindstrom said, which forces students walking to classes to take notice.

He said the organizers have tried to include speakers from all possible perspectives to ensure the week remains nonpartisan.

Republican Congressman Tom Latham of Iowa’s 4th Congressional District couldn’t attend this week but is scheduled to speak at the Memorial Union on Oct. 11, Lindstrom said.

Benjamin Lyons, senior in biology who attended Kerry’s speech, said he appreciates Political Action Week’s approach to encouraging student involvement.

“I think it’s a great way to spend time between classes,” Lyons said.

Student political leaders from both sides of the aisle praised Political Action Week’s attempt to expose students to politics.

Sara Sunderman, president of the ISU Democrats and junior in marketing, said she supports Political Action Week’s efforts to educate students on the election.

“I think it’s been very successful in achieving its biggest goal, which is to inform people on issues that will come up during the election,” Sunderman said.

Donald McDowell, president of the ISU College Republicans and junior in political science, said a more laid-back atmosphere sets Political Action Week apart from past attempts to expose students to politics.

“It’s a different environment,” McDowell said. “It’s more casual. That’s never a bad thing.”