City council race down to two as Elbert withdraws

Fred Love

The two remaining candidates in the race for the Ames City Council 2nd Ward seat have ratcheted up campaigning efforts while a third candidate dropped out of the race earlier this month.

In a letter turned into the Ames City Clerk’s office dated Sept. 2, Sally Elbert withdrew her candidacy and pledged her support for Jami Larson in the Nov. 7 special election.

Elbert said she dropped out of the race because she and Larson’s views were so similar, and she didn’t want to split the vote.

Larson, who said he has ramped up door-knocking and campaigning efforts of late, said Elbert’s support could sway some voters in his direction.

“I’m happy she threw her support my way,” he said. “She could have split the vote because our views are similar on some key issues.”

Erwin Klaas, Larson’s opponent, said Elbert’s decision to drop out of the race won’t change his campaign.

“I am essentially running on my ideas and my platform,” Klaas said. “I’m running to promote a message, and win or lose, I’m going to get that message out.”

Klaas, a former ISU professor, said developing a sustainable growth plan that won’t negatively impact the environment ranks at the top of his list of priorities.

“I really think Ames could be a leader in sustainable growth and development,” he said. “This is something I think will unite the community.”

Larson said he has canvassed the 2nd Ward, which includes Frederiksen Court and Schilletter/University Village, to gain student input.

“Student participation is an important part of the campaign,” he said.

Encouraging students to reside and seek employment in Ames after earning a college degree, he said, would also play a role in his campaign.