Report criticizes grade school science education in the United States

Beth Dunham

According to a National Research Council report issued Sept. 21, U.S. science education in grades K-8 lags behind other countries, which may put some students at a disadvantage later in their academic career.

The report criticizes current science achievement standards as being too superficial, which results in random coverage of different topics, requires students to memorize disconnected facts and fails to link fundamental concepts together as children progress from grade to grade.

It also stated most elementary school science curricula are too simplistic and children have the ability to understand scientific reasoning and more curiosity than previously thought.

ISU faculty members expressed concern that shortcomings in current grade school science education may have long-term repercussions on interest, preparedness and performance in college-level science.

“Many incoming students don’t understand the nature of science, what it can and can’t do,” said James Colbert, ISU biology program coordinator, associate professor of ecology, evolution and organismal biology and instructor of introductory life science class Biology 211, Principles of Biology I.

Colbert said although most biology students come to college reasonably prepared to learn about subjects such as cell biology and genetics, they tend to have difficulty grasping large, encompassing topics such as biodiversity. Some students also have trouble comprehending debates on issues such as evolution because of inexperience with scientific terminology and context.

John Hauptman, professor of physics and astronomy, was not surprised by the criticisms mentioned in the report.

He said since most students’ first contact with physics is during middle school with disconnected mathematical formulas instead of fundamental concepts, many students shy away from actively pursuing further knowledge of the subject.

Hauptman said he encountered the same type of physics presentation during his own years in grade school.

“I hated it,” he said.

Hauptman said he would like to see more conceptual science education begin in younger grade levels. He told of how he once took physics equipment into an elementary classroom and watched as the children satisfied their curiosity about the devices by designing their own rudimentary experiments.

“You can and should start earlier. Kids are naturally curious; they are natural scientists,” he said.

Lori Norton-Meier, assistant professor of curriculum and instruction, agrees with the report’s assessment. Her current research involves implementing scientific inquiry and research language curriculum in several elementary classrooms across the state.

“We’re getting some really interesting results,” Norton-Meier said. She said her research found even kindergartners were able to draw simple concept maps, gather evidence and make basic scientific claims.

“We need to teach the big concepts and go in-depth; we can’t just skim over the top,” Norton-Meier said.

She also said fostering scientific curiosity at an earlier age leads children to feel more confident and interested in science.

“We’re seeing third-grade girls who say, ‘I’m going to be a scientist when I grow up’ when other kids their age usually are beginning to lose interest in science,” Norton-Meier said.