It’s time for broomball

Joel Broughton

Break out your mittens and knee pads: intramural broomball registration has begun.

Last fall, 244 teams participated in intramural broomball, making it the most popular intramural sport on campus. Intramural coordinators are expecting this fall’s turnout to be just as big as last year’s.

Linda Marticke, intramural coordinator, encourages students to register early at the ISU Recreation Services Web site, www.recservices.iastate.edu. Registration ends Sept. 20.

The fee for each team is $45, which is used mostly to cover the costs of ice time. A team can consist of up to 15 members, with five on the ice at any given time. No experience is necessary, and everyone is welcome to play as long as he or she is affiliated with Iowa State.

The sport is divided into three skill levels to allow students to play at a level that is comfortable for them. Some students play for the fun of the game and end up falling all over the ice, but for others, broomball can be a serious competition.

Most students who have played intramural broomball have nothing but positive things to say about the experience.

“Broomball lets me feel the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat,” said Daniel Gilkerson, senior in accounting. “It’s a fun time and we get pretty into the game.”

Gilkerson began playing intramural broomball during his freshmen year. He had never played before but said that some of his friends talked him into giving it a try. During the next four years his team, Old National, would become the champions of men’s Division A three times.

Unfortunately for Gilkerson, most of his team graduated last year. He is still optimistic about the upcoming season as he gathers a new team and attempts to gain the title of champion once again.

Not everyone is as hardcore about broomball as Gilkerson. Many students play broomball just to have a good time with friends. Ashley Geneser, junior in architecture, recommends the sport to anyone looking for something fun to do.

“Some girls at my apartment building needed an extra person, so I went and played, and it turned out to be really fun,” Geneser said.

Geneser said she spent most of the game falling on the ice but it didn’t matter to her. She didn’t consider falling very embarrassing because everyone on her team was at the same skill level.

“I don’t even really remember if we won or not,” Geneser said. “We weren’t really that concerned with the competition.”

Many students choose to start a team comprised of their friends but not all take this route to achieve broomball glory. Students who are interested in playing but do not have a team can sign up as free agents. A free agent is an individual who wants to register for a team but is not already on a team. Free agents’ names are posted on the Rec services Web site to make them accessible to other teams hoping to fill up their roster. The free agents are dispersed throughout the teams or sometimes placed on a team together to make sure everyone gets a chance to participate.

“It’s not a guarantee, but we have had some good success,” Marticke said about free agency.

Students who choose not to participate at all may still be interested in coming as spectators. The games will be played from 8:45 p.m. to 1:45 a.m. Sunday and 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Monday through Thursday.

“Sometimes the fans dress up and get crazy. It’s pretty fun to watch,” Marticke said.