Annual 5K race raises awareness

Teresa Krug

Grace Amemiya was a nursing student at the University of California-Berkeley when she, along with other Japanese-Americans, had her citizenship revoked and was forced into an internment camp after the United States entered World War II.

After the war, Amemiya finished her training at St. Mary’s School of Nursing in Rochester, Minn.

Today, she gives speeches to people in the area about her experience.

“These internment programs will hopefully educate people [so] that this won’t happen again,” Amemiya said.

She also attends events such as the Race Against Racism, where last year she was named the oldest participant. This is the YWCA’s annual 5K to raise awareness about racism and generate funds for Molding a Better Tomorrow, a multicultural camp for third, fourth and fifth graders during Spring Break.

“I think it’s just wonderful – the fact that they have this camp,” Amemiya said.

Carlie Tartakov, professor emerita of curriculum and instruction and participant in the race, said she came because she wants to see the No. 1 problem in the United States – the color line – eliminated.

“It’s still a huge problem,” Tartakov said. “It hasn’t been acknowledged properly.”

Judy Dolphin, the former executive director of the YWCA, said she enjoyed the event because of its positive atmosphere.

“It’s just such a motivating, uplifting experience,” Dolphin said. “I love it.”

Although it’s relatively not blatant, she said racism still exists.

“One of the things I hear a lot, is I don’t see color,” Dolphin said.

Not acknowledging a person’s color, however is not truly recognizing the person’s identity, she said.

“It would be like people not recognizing my gender,” Dolphin said.

With the funds raised this year, YWCA Executive Director Sherrie Wolfe said she hopes to make the camp affordable to even more students.

Speakers from a variety of countries share their stories and customs with participants during the weeklong program in March.

“[We] introduce children to other cultures, and they actually talk about how they’re different and how they are similar,” Wolfe said.

In the end, it is obvious that they have more things in common, she said.

“It’s such, such a good program,” said Cassandra Haro, one of the camp counselors last year.

Haro said the students learn conflict resolution and learn to accept diversity and “see each other as equals.”

Overall female winners of the race included Laurie Mullins, junior in veterinary medicine, who took first place, and Claire Andreasen, professor and chairwoman of veterinary pathology, who took fourth place. Sean Cordes, graduate student in logistics, operations and management information systems, took second place for the men.

The Gospel Soul Innovators performed and speakers included Emily Jensen, Government of the Student Body president and senior in political science, and Riad Mahayni, city councilman and professor of community and regional planning.

“This is not an easy fight . We have to continue fighting any form of racism,” Mahayni said.