Campaign promotes student voting

Dan Moylan

The large ball of student debt was dropped on Central Campus on Tuesday.

The 10-foot inflatable ball-and-chain appeared southeast of the Campanile on Tuesday. The prop was used by the New Voters Project to promote student voting.

The project, which is a national, non-partisan campaign that aims to get more young people to vote using a registration, education and mobilization method works in association with the Government of the Student Body, ISU Ambassadors, ActivUs and the Public Interest Research Group.

Nathan Brown, a full-time campus organizer working with GSB, along with volunteers for the campaign, was out trying to get students to register to vote from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“Students often feel left out, and don’t see how it applies to them,” Brown said. “Our motivation is to get young people involved in the voting process. We want politicians to listen to us.”

Brown said it is important for students to be getting out there and involved, especially in Iowa because of all of the presidential hopefuls that come through.

“The problem is that our age group is typically apathetic,” said Devin Hartman, senior in political science and president of ActivUs. “We want to change that.”

The campaign hopes to get its message out to the public and raise awareness using visual events, such as the ball-and-chain, as well as doing “dorm storms,” where volunteers canvas the campus community by going door-to-door in the dorms.

“Our goal is to register 5,000 new voters for this election,” Hartman said.

The campaign registered 243 voters on campus Tuesday, and will continue to register voters up until the voter registration deadline in October.

“We have a three-prong plan,” Brown said.

“We want to get [students] registered to vote, then push those people that registered to get to the polls and vote and use the media and visual events to get the word out there.”

Hartman and Brown said they both believe the general public needs to be aware of what is going on in politics and to get involved.

“What happens now [in politics] affects our generation the most. We are the ones who have to live with it,” Hartman said.