Summer fashions bloom across campus

Shannon Sanders

Brands across the nation research college students for fashion trends, and the students flock to them to buy these trends.

Some of these trends college students will be donning this summer include deeper and bolder colors: burgundy and navy contrasted with white and cream.

These colors are present across the board on shorts, capris and skirts for women and polos for men.

“I think the interesting thing is we’ve had quite a few years of bling, bling, bling, bling, bling. To me, it’s like too rich of a meal. At some point, you need to cleanse your palate,” said Michael Kors, a New York designer, told The Associated Press in late March, according to Cleveland.com.

Kors’ line, self-titled Michael Kors, is full of whites and creams contrasted with bold colors with a more classic feel, and includes bohemian undertones.

Nicholas Curtis, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production and lover of high-end fashion, agrees with Kors.

“White is going to be huge, you’re going to see it left and right off the racks,” Curtis said. “Mixing and matching trends and being edgy with your fashion will also be huge.”

The colors and whites are the base for the increasing trend of skirts for women and polo shirts for men. The longer, flowing skirts have infiltrated mainstream stores already and are making their way to consumers. Men’s polos have always been a classic choice and are being paired with graphic T-shirts and blazers more often, said Beth Montgomery, senior in art and design and American Eagle employee.

“It started with Justin Timberlake and Usher, and now it is mainstream. [Blazers] are still hot and will be hot for a while. Everyone needs a key item they can utilize and use when the season is over,” she said.

For women, Montgomery suggests a great pair of shorts – classic or Bermuda – that can be dressed up or down for the summer.

Many college students would love to go out and buy these new fashions, but with bills, loans and only part-time jobs, it is not always a practical option.

“Fashion is what you make it,” Curtis commented on high-end fashion versus cheaper pieces. “You can go to Goodwill and get something cheap and make it your own.”

Male

Coat: GAP – $78

Tie: Express – $30

Button-down shirt: GAP – $48

Belt: Express – $30

Jeans: American Eagle – $38

Shoes: Steve Madden – $80

Female

Halter top:

American Eagle and Kohl’s – $14.99

Capris: American Eagle – $34.50

Sandals: Target – $14.99