ISU students, Ames residents come together for Kids Day

Kristen Arneson

In an attempt to better integrate Ames and Iowa State, the university is welcoming children onto campus.

Kids Day on the Terrace is a first-time event sponsored by the Student Union Board, and is devoted to art and literacy for the children of the Ames community.

The event will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. If weather permits, all activities will be on the Terrace of the Memorial Union.

The Student Union Board has coordinated the event. Claire Jaksich, Student Union Board fine arts director and junior in art and design, has been doing extensive planning for Kids Day.

“It’s something to get the community involved with the campus,” Jaksich said. “I wanted to do something to get the kids involved with art.”

Activities available for the day include spin art, beaded bracelets, caricatures, book readings and a visit from greyhound dogs.

Amy DeLashmutt, program assistant at the University Book Store, is a reader for the story time.

She will read her favorite children’s book, “Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School,” by Mark Teague at 9:30 a.m. She said the story is comical, but also has terrific illustrations.

DeLashmutt said the book is currently up for the Pennell award, a national award presented by the Women’s National Booksellers Association.

The book was nominated for creative literacy, and the winner will be announced at the end of the month. The University Book Store offers a story time once a month.

“This is really very exciting for us,” DeLashmutt said. “We just really think that reading a book connects children with education.”

Jaksich said supplies for the art project are being provided by the Workspace in the Memorial Union and are funded by SUB.

She said this first-time event will continue in the future if everything runs smoothly.

“I wanted to plan some activities that had never really been done before,” Jaksich said.

The second book reading takes place at 11:30 a.m., and is about adopting greyhounds. Real greyhound dogs owned by Ames residents will be coming to visit the children.

DeLashmutt said the store would participate in this kind of event again in the future.

This event is for children of all ages and their parents. Volunteers from SUB and the College of Design will supervise the activities.