Professor’s artwork featured in exhibit

Allison Vennerberg

Many people say there is an art to science, which can be seen in the exhibit of an ISU professor.

“Science through the Eyes of an Artist” an exhibit at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Ames, 1015 N. Hyland Ave., showcases work from Dean Biechler, lecturer in art and design. Joseph Muench, assistant professor of art and design, and some of his metals students from the College of Design are also displaying pieces.

Biechler is exhibiting work he has done for publications, such as scientific and medical illustrations for textbooks.

“I’m hoping people that come to the exhibit will get a better appreciation and understanding of the process,” Biechler said. “Most people just see the published work. They never get to see the rough drafts and communication process between the artist and the client.”

Jean Dow, chairwoman for the fellowship’s art exhibition committee, agrees. “As you look at the exhibit, you will see what the public sees in publications,” she said. “Then you will see four or five steps of how [the art] got to that point.”

Biechler is featuring 79 pieces, most of which are scientific illustrations.

Although this is the most work he has ever shown in an exhibit, it’s just a fraction of the work he’s done.

Biechler has been doing medical and scientific illustrations on his own for 33 years. Before starting his home studio, he was the primary illustrator for the College of Veterinary Medicine for 16 years.

In addition to working on illustrations at his home studio, he now teaches two classes. He didn’t expect to come back to Iowa State after his original departure, but said he loves the challenges and rewards of teaching, especially beginning drawing students.

Biechler said he also enjoys teaching upper-level students following his career path, as they have many good questions and make him think about the artistic and communication processes in different ways than he otherwise would.

Muench is exhibiting one piece entitled “Ceremonial Guard for an Un-bearded Metalsmith.” Approximately 10 students from his upper-level metals classes will display their work.

“I want people to see the diversity of the students,” Muench said. “Their pieces are all very different and they have unbelievable talent, and the gallery is a great space for the students to show off their work.”

Both professors were very pleased with the gallery.

“I love the space,” Muench said. “It’s a wonderful place to exhibit. It’s just a great space, and they have really let us do a wonderful exhibit here.”

The gallery is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every weekday. The exhibit will run until June 3.