Irish dance company jigs its way to Stephens

Allison Vennerberg

High-energy, fast footwork and bright costuming isn’t just reserved for musicals. Those seeking fast-paced entertainment need to look no further than the Trinity Irish Dance Company.

The distinguished company is kicking up its feet Friday at Stephens Auditorium.

The all-female group was founded in 1990 and is made up of dancers ages 18 to 28.

FASTTRAK

What: Trinity Irish Dance Company

Where: Stephens Auditorium

When: 7:30 p.m. Friday

Cost: $32/$36 adults, $16/$18 students and 18 and under

Mark Howard, founder of the company, wanted students who had danced competitively to have opportunities to dance professionally.

Trinity was among the first channels in which Irish dance took on a new, more modern form, which opened the path for productions such as Riverdance.

“I think anybody that enjoys a fast, upbeat performance would definitely enjoy the Trinity Irish Dance Company,” said Heather Weaverling of the Iowa State Center. “There are still great seats available, and it’s going to be a great show.”

National acts such as this are a great opportunity for ISU students to see professional entertainers at a reduced price. Tickets are half off the adult prices because of funding through the Government of the Student Body.

Most of the dancers in the nonprofit Irish-American dance company come from the Trinity Academy of Irish Dance, a school based in Chicago and Milwaukee. Many of the dancers have danced with and known each other since childhood because they attended the academy.

The dance company has appeared in numerous films, including “The Road to Perdition,” and TV shows such as the “Tonight Show” and “Good Morning America.” The group has also won two Emmy Awards for its appearances on PBS specials.

Dancers from the company will be holding a free Irish dancing class at noon Friday in room 196 of the Forker Building. It is free and open to the public.

“From what I’ve heard, they put on fabulous master classes,” said Janice Baker, assistant professor of health and human performance. “It’s a very easy-to-enjoy dance company for anyone who likes bright costuming and Irish music.”

The class lasts about an hour, and no dance experience is needed to have a good time and learn some Celtic dancing moves.

“Having them put on a master class is a really great opportunity, so come and enjoy the party,” Baker said. “If you’re not there, you’re missing out.”

Students who find the class interesting or who just want to learn more about Irish dancing may want to consider joining the Celtic Dance Society. The group meets weekly to go over new steps and cultures of dance.

The organization is not directly involved with Trinity Dance Company, but several members of the club will be attending Friday’s performance to experience Irish dance culture on a professional level.

Although students may not pick up the quick footwork of the dancers of Trinity, they will get to sample a variety of dancing, including the type of dancing seen in productions of Riverdance and Trinity.

“Trinity does a very specific type of Irish dancing that we sometimes do,” said Gary Lieberman, professor of mathematics and adviser to the Celtic Dance Society.

“The Celtic Dance Society does a much more general kind of dance that includes dances from Ireland, Scotland, England and other places, as well.”

The Celtic Dance Society has several social events throughout the year, and no certain skill level is required to join.