Students of workers not documented pay in-state

Fred Love

Children of undocumented workers can enroll at Iowa State without paying out-of-state tuition, if the prospective student can prove their parents live and work in Iowa.

A recently passed Nebraska law overcame Governor Dave Heineman’s veto last week to allow children of undocumented immigrants to attend Nebraska universities for in-state tuition costs, but Assistant Registrar Judy Minnick said Iowa State already operates on a similar policy.

“We handle those situations like any other international student on a visa who lives in Iowa because their parents are here,” Minnick said.

As long as prospective students can provide evidence that their parents reside in Iowa, she said, the university will assess the in-state tuition fee. If a student’s parents leave the state, however, Minnick said the student would have to pay out-of-state rates to remain enrolled at Iowa State.

“They have to show evidence that they are here with their parents,” she said.

Minnick said situations where the child of an undocumented immigrant enrolls at Iowa State hadn’t occurred prior to the last five years, and said she rarely sees these situations now.

“We’re not talking more than probably 10 or fewer instances [where children of undocumented immigrants enroll at Iowa State],” she said.

Rep. Lisa Heddens, D-Ames, said although Iowa lawmakers are not considering a similar bill to the one passed in Nebraska, she would consider supporting a bill guaranteeing in-state tuition for children of undocumented immigrants.

“These kids are brought here through no control of their own and want to continue school and better themselves,” she said. “Are we penalizing children because of the parents who brought them here?”

She said the Iowa House debated a similar measure four years ago that would have allowed the children of undocumented immigrants to go to Iowa schools for in-state rates if they had attended elementary and high school in Iowa. The measure never came before the Senate, she said.

Iowa City Regent Robert Downer voiced concern that such a policy would have to be implemented carefully.

“I wouldn’t feel that it would necessarily be fair and I think it would require a set of rules that would be fair for all concerned, such as those already paying tuition and those paying taxes that fund Iowa’s universities,” Downer said.

However, he said allowing those in Iowa a more affordable education would also benefit the state.

“It does seem to me that the public interest is served by having a highly educated populace,” he said. “That’s true with respect to immigrants as well as those who are U.S. citizens.”