Local police feel prepared for upcoming Veishea

Dan Moylan

After a year on hiatus, Veishea is back with a bang, and with this return, some are wondering if there will be a riot as in the previous celebration in 2004.

Randy Kessel, investigations commander for Ames Police Department, said there will not be a reoccurrence.

Ames Police has formed a party response team in an effort to try to lower the occurrences of nuisance parties.

“We have had great success with our party response team in Campustown last weekend,” Kessel said.

The team will continue to go out during the month in response to complaints of parties. The team will issue warnings to the party organizers, break up parties that become too large and educate the partygoers on the consequences for minors in possession of alcohol and noise violations.

According to the Safe Venues Draft Policy, large nuisance parties would result in a $500 fine for the first-time offenders and a $750 fine for a second offense and every violation thereafter.

Regular nuisance parties are fined $50 for the first offense, $75 for a second offense and $150 fine for a third offense and every violation thereafter.

Kessel said these regulations are meant to discourage large off-campus parties.

“As in the past, there will be a large availability of police officers who will be accessible to assist in areas where they are needed,” Kessel said.

“In the past year we have received calls from parties that have gotten too big too fast, or have had problems with uninvited guests.”

Kessel said on top of responding to any party complaints, Ames Police will try to prevent large nuisance parties if officers see one starting.

“One thing that is important to prevent problems is keeping the lines of communication open,” Kessel said.

“We have been in contact with members of the student government, the dean’s office and members of the student body in the City Council.”

Kessel said it is important to maintain open communication between the police force and the student body, as well as with the neighboring areas around Campustown.

There have been various meetings held to discuss what should be done to prevent a repeat of the disturbances seen at Veishea two years ago.

“We’ve covered a lot of ground in the last two years,” Kessel said.

Jerry Stewart, director of the ISU Department of Public Safety, declined to comment.