Students in sciences struggle to reconcile beliefs with studies

Kristen Arneson

Students majoring in biology and other sciences at Iowa State say they feel pressure from professors to abandon their religious beliefs.

Briana Miille, sophomore in biology, recalled her first day of college as a freshman. Her professors explained the course curriculum for her introductory biology class, and when they mentioned that they would teach evolution, a girl raised her hand.

She asked what specifically they would teach about evolution, and one of the professors responded with, “You must be a Christian.”

He then proceeded to state that he had no religion and knew few biologists who did.

Miille said she was devastated and left the classroom questioning her life passion to be a marine biologist conflicted with her other life passion: her Christian beliefs.

“I have no problem with [professors] teaching evolution and I understand that I have to learn that,” Miille said. “It’s a part of biology, but when you infringe on my rights by telling me I can’t be a biology student and a Christian, I think that’s wrong.”

After Miille’s shock in her introductory class, she seriously considered transferring to a Christian college that specializes in science. She also read “The Case for a Creator” by Lee Strobel. The book provided her with insight into the principles of Darwinism.

The first chapter of the book disproves the four basic principles that are part of Darwin’s theory – something that has been drilled into Miille’s head since she started learning biology in seventh grade.

After reading “The Case for a Creator,” she found confidence that science and Christianity could coexist.

“I really began questioning what came out of my professors’ mouths,” she said.

James Colbert, associate professor of ecology, evolution and organismal biology, said he doesn’t see a problem with those instructors who wish to express their religious beliefs when lecturing.

“I guess I would characterize it as irrelevant,” Colbert said. “Religious beliefs are by definition a faith-based understanding of the world. The point of the discussion in class is that it’s science.”

He also said that he thinks it is completely possible for biologists to still hold true to their religious beliefs. He said there are different denominations of Christianity, and some of them might say evolution is still the strongest scientific view.

Emily Sorrick, senior in mechanical engineering and co-worker of Miille’s, said she has never had professors express opinions in class that have offended her.

She said Miille has only briefly mentioned that there have been conflicting ideas in the classroom before, but it must not bother her much considering the enthusiasm Miille has for biology.

“It takes a lot of passion to study marine biology in the Midwest,” Sorrick said. “It’s not the easiest place to do that.”

Josh Beck, intern with The Salt Company campus Christian organization and research assistant in a microbiology lab, said it’s possible to be both a biologist and a Christian.

“Being both a biologist and a Christian, I feel that my study of life sciences is a huge endorsement for my faith,” he said.

Beck said he doesn’t have a problem with professors teaching evolution and even sharing their opinions on the matter.

He said professors who wish to share their religious opinions with students are responsible for telling students that it’s just their opinion.