University to redefine dean office as vacancy continues

Jared Taylor

The search for a new dean of students will start anew because changes could be made to the position.

Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, said new needs within the Office of Student Affairs justified re-examining the dean of students position.

“There’s some things that I discovered that came up as a part of the search,” he said.

Hill said reasons to continue the search include potential changes to the way the dean’s offices operate and a new budget allocation model that will be implemented later this year.

Six finalists for the vacancy were named in January, including Interim Dean of Students Sharon McGuire, who will continue to serve in her current position.

“I understand [Hill’s] perspective on reviewing the structure of the dean of students office,” she said. “I want to be a dean of students, so I will continue as the dean.”

Hill said changes should be made before recruiting begins again.

“You didn’t want to advertise for a job and then shortly after, you change it,” he said. “That’s not a good way to start off a relationship.”

The first search for a new dean of students began last year, when former Dean of Students Pete Englin became the director of the ISU Department of Residence. McGuire has served as interim dean since July 1, 2005.

Hill said there is no indication any changes would be made in prolonging the search.

“I haven’t made any determination [for changes] at this point,” he said. “What I want to do is take my time to look at [the position] and analyze it.”

Feedback received during the initial search led to continuing the pursuit for a new dean, Hill said.

“There were just different things. There were a lot of different things said [during the initial search] that were commented about,” he said.

McGuire said Iowa State’s dean of students office is relatively comprehensive compared to those of other universities.

“Regardless of how it’s structured, the dean of students office needs to be a web of collaboration,” she said. “It needs to be comprehensive, but that doesn’t mean all the parts need to stay in the same structure.”

Hill said he would accept input from staff as to how the dean of students position would change in the future, if at all.

“I’ll take comments and advice under consideration as I move to decide on how we proceed from here,” he said.

Finalists could be named by mid-summer, with a new dean to be announced by August, Hill said.

“It’ll most likely be some time during the summer, given this timeline,” he said. “Exactly when, I don’t know.”

The six finalists from the previous search would be invited to reapply for the position, Hill said.

“They will be invited to apply, but it would be left up to them whether they would do that or not,” he said.