Debate continues over military policies

Jared Taylor

Student opinions are polarized following a court decision allowing the U.S. military to recruit on campus.

The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that the government can force colleges to open their campuses to military recruiters despite some universities’ objections to the Pentagon’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy on gays.

Justices rejected a free-speech challenge from law schools and professors who claimed they should not have to associate with military recruiters or promote their campus appearances.

Christopher Williams, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication, said as a homosexual, he feels the ruling is “a step backward.”

“I think it’s sad the ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’ policy is in effect because I do know a lot of gay people who do want to help serve our country,” he said. “It’s so hard to talk about because it is so blatantly homophobic.”

The 8-0 decision upheld a federal law stating that universities must allow the military equal access as other recruiters or forfeit federal funds.

The court ruled even more broadly, saying that Congress could directly demand military access on campus without linking the requirement to federal money.

According to Iowa State’s non-discrimination policy, “all decisions relative to employment, conditions of employment and access to programs and services will be made without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, marital status, disability or status as a U.S. veteran.”

The policy leaves room for laws to override its authority, stating “exceptions to this directive may be made in matters involving . where this policy conflicts with federal and state laws, rules, regulations or orders.”

Air Force ROTC cadet Eric Almeida, sophomore in mechanical engineering, said recruiters should be allowed on campus.

“People aren’t forced to talk to recruiters,” he said. “The fact that they are allowing recruiters on campus is good.”

Williams said the lack of tolerance rests in people not recognizing the problem.

“I think that’s the problem – that people don’t think it’s a big deal, because it is,” he said.

“Even though they’re not forcing people to join the military, it’s still anti-gay. ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ is telling people to not be who they are just so they can help their country.”

Almeida said although he couldn’t speak for the military as a whole, he thinks its sexual orientation policy works overall.

“I think they’re just doing the best that they can in an awkward situation,” he said.

Williams said the military’s policy against allowing openly gay recruits discriminates without justification.

“They are discriminating against a population of people for no reason,” he said.

“It’s so ridiculous. I think a lot of people think people can become gay and if [the government would] let people in the military, they can become gay.”

Air Force ROTC cadet Tammy Barker, senior in political science, said although her opinion may not reflect the views of the Air Force, she believes allowing recruiters on campus benefits the country.

“As a student, I think recruiters should be let on campus,” she said. “We need as many people to fight for our country as possible.”

– The Associated Press contributed to this article.