Get to know… Jean-Pierre Taoutel, well-groomed professor of foreign language

Alicia Martin

Jean-Pierre Taoutel teaches Arabic and French at Iowa State. Often considered the best-dressed professor at Iowa State, Taoutel is a self-proclaimed romantic and aspires to be king of his own island. In 2005, he was given the Excellence in Undergraduate Introductory Teaching award, a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences faculty and staff award. In 2004, he was selected as a Wakonse Fellow, which recognized him as a role model for all teachers and scholars.

Alicia Martin: For those who don’t know you, what’s your background?

Jean-Pierre Taoutel: I was born in Syria, but my family moved right after to Lebanon, which was called “the Switzerland of the Middle East.” Unfortunately for my parents, a few years later the war started in Lebanon and so I grew up in war-torn Beirut. I had my share of spending nights in the basement or standing in line for bread or water distribution. But as a kid, I was at least happy that school was regularly canceled. In 1990, I moved to France to attend university and I studied French literature and culture – with an emphasis on the works of French writer Marcel Proust – at La Sorbonne in Paris, where I also taught at a high school. I am strongly attached to the places I lived in and today I feel that I am a blend of Middle Eastern falafel, a French croissant and an American hamburger.

AM: Why did you choose teaching as a profession?

JT: Teaching is a fun job. I never get bored because every day new things happen in a classroom. Not only do I teach, but I also learn from my students. That’s the magic about it. I also believe in the educational role of teaching. I have to admit, too, that I love my full-time job with three months of vacation per year. Of course teachers don’t make a lot of money, but I appreciate the fact that I have the time to travel and do the things I like.

AM: Why have you decided to teach in the United States and, more specifically, at Iowa State?

JT: It was a pure coincidence. When I was a Ph.D. student at La Sorbonne I saw a flyer about a one-year exchange program to teach French at Hamilton College in New York state. I love to travel and that was a good opportunity to experience living in the USA. After my year at Hamilton, I wanted to continue this experience and so I applied for other positions. I got an offer in Florida and the one at ISU. When my colleagues in New York told me that Iowa was the middle of nowhere, I decided to come here because someone has to be in the middle of nowhere.

AM: You obviously have a passion for what you teach – why is it important for students to study foreign languages?

JT: Learning a foreign language is just fun. It opens your mind on other cultures, and the more languages you speak the smarter you are. Look, for example, when a new president is elected somewhere in the world, journalists will always comment on how many languages he/she can speak as if this quality is a sign of intelligence.

AM: You’re known on campus, not only as a best-dressed professor, but also as a favorite among students. Any theories as to why?

JT: Me, a best-dressed teacher? I wear the same shoes all the time! Anyway, I always tell my students that I didn’t move to Ames for tourism, but for my job. I have a lot of fun in the classroom and obviously my little kids – my students – can see it. When I was student I had also boring classes and unmotivated teachers. They taught me what teaching should be.

AM: You’re described as a bit of a romantic. What’s more important for students – being in love or doing their assignments?

JT: Well, if you do your assignments, you get A’s and you’re happy. If you fall in love, you get problems, you’re unhappy and you might get D’s. Because great love stories are – in essence – sad stories. That’s my Proust side. I can’t decide for students.

AM: What’s more important for teachers – being in love or grading their assignments?

JT: I hate grading. In a perfect world there will be no exams and no grading. But, I have experienced grading and don’t know what love is. So until I discover love, I will sadly satisfy myself with grading.

AM: You may be Iowa State’s only faculty member who is also a member of royalty. How did you become king of your own island?

JT: When I was a little kid, I used to say to my parents that one day I will buy an island and establish my kingdom. My brothers liked to tease me and ask if they needed a visa to visit me. Since then, I have proclaimed myself King Papch I. When I tell this to my students they think I am crazy. I still have this utopian dream – I just need to win the lotto to realize it. And yes, you will need a visa to visit me.

AM: Would you consider yourself a benevolent dictator or a tyrannical despot?

JT: I wouldn’t call myself a despot or a dictator. But I am always right and never wrong. I expect people to do everything I say and no one should ever dare to oppose me. Freedom of speech is not a right, but a privilege I grant. And I do believe in democracy.

AM: Any final words of wisdom to the students of Iowa State?

JT: Get the best of your college years. Don’t be satisfied with mediocrity and easy curved grades. You’re here to learn, not only to pass classes. Learn a foreign language and study at least a semester abroad. Be willing to challenge your beliefs and stand up for the real important issues in our world, not only for dry Veishea or tailgating. Finally, please do your assignments between 6 and 8 p.m. This is the time when I go to the rec center and it is always crowded.