Panel discussion to educate public on healthy habits, obesity epidemic

Joe Augustin

Avoiding the “freshman 15” and weight gain throughout college may not be difficult.

“Students need to understand the science behind nutrition,” said Ruth MacDonald, professor and chairwoman of food science and human nutrition.

Along with Marc Shulman, chief of staff at Thielen Student Health Center, and former ISU wrestler and associate wrestling coach Cael Sanderson, MacDonald will serve on a panel for the “Fit Nation College Tour,” hosted by CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

The purpose of the tour is to educate and search for solutions regarding the nation’s obesity epidemic in a series of “town hall” meetings on seven campuses around the country. The ISU meeting will begin at 4 p.m. Thursday in Fisher Theater.

MacDonald said if students make certain changes in their busy lifestyles, weight loss is attainable.

She said overconsumption and greater accessibility to calorie-rich foods, such as soft drinks and candy bars, are a few of the major contributing factors in weight gain.

“It can add 400 to 500 calories without you even realizing it,” MacDonald said.

Eating a healthy breakfast such as cereal, drinking more milk and water instead of soda and eating more fruits and vegetables contribute to a healthier lifestyle, MacDonald said.

Although there are fattening foods offered in dining areas around campus, MacDonald said there are plenty of healthy options to choose from, such as salads, fruits, yogurt and low-fat sandwiches. She doesn’t think the responsibility of healthy eating habits should fall entirely on dining facilities, and all higher-fat foods shouldn’t be taken off of menus.

“There’s nothing wrong with having a hamburger if you are not eating that everyday,” MacDonald said.

Another problem among college students is a yo-yoing effect in diets, in which students try to lose weight fast for events and gain it back afterward, Shulman said.

Shulman said he was able to lose nearly 100 pounds during the past couple of years by eating healthier and walking more. His aim is to walk 10,000 steps every day, which he keeps track of on a pedometer. It equates to roughly five miles, he said.

He said cutting physical education programs in elementary schools combined with the increasing number of “desk jobs” are leading to lifelong consequences for people’s health.

“Students sometimes think they can suddenly change once they get out of college,” Shulman said.

He said making healthy choices and sticking to them, although not easy at first, will eventually become part of person’s lifestyle, as it did for him.

Both Shulman and MacDonald agree that having a plan, including when and what to eat along with some exercise each day, are positive steps toward a healthier lifestyle. The planning is especially important with the busy schedules of college students, Shulman said.