Summer classes offer students chance to earn credits quickly

Rachel Weber

It’s that time again.

ISU students can begin registering for summer and fall classes on March 20. Even those sometimes-dreaded summer classes benefit students in a variety of ways, said Roger Bertelsen, academic adviser for the college of liberal arts and sciences.

“Sometimes students get additional credits to finish by a deadline they’ve set for themselves,” Bertelsen said. “Sometimes they add a major or minor and it works well for them to take summer classes.”

FASTTRAK

General registration dates for Summer/Fall 2006:

All Seniors: March 21 to 27

Projected Juniors: March 28 to April 3

Projected Sophomores: April 4 to 11

Continuing Freshmen: April 12 to 19

Bertelsen said the eight-week summer session fits conveniently into a busy summer filled with jobs and travel.

“I think summer sessions works well for other students for many reasons,” Bertelsen said.

“They may feel pressure if they’ve changed their major.”

Brittney Thomas, student in design studies, is taking summer classes for the second time at Iowa State this year.

“I’m taking some English classes because I just changed my major,” Thomas said. “I’m kind of behind and need to catch up.”

Thomas said she thinks she’ll be able to balance her summer academics with work because she plans on taking between six and nine credits.

“It’s the summer, and I’ll probably want to be outside and have fun,” Thomas said.

“I’m not planning on taking hard classes just because they probably won’t require much time and I realize I’m a lazy person.”

Bertelsen said he doesn’t think classes are easier in the summer because the pace of class is faster and balancing work, class and a social life can be difficult.

“It’s a different atmosphere in the summer,” Bertelsen said.

Elyse Eilbert, junior in psychology, is taking summer classes because she said the atmosphere is more casual and the classes easier.

“I like to take the really stupid classes that I know I’ll hate [in the summer], because I know I’ll only have them for six weeks instead of 15,” she said.

Eilbert said she’s taking summer classes because she’s living in Ames and it gives her something to do to pass the time.

“Last summer I took two years of French,” Eilbert said. “It was awful, but it was done in only eight weeks, so it was good to get it out of the way.”

The difficulty of summer classes is relative to the student, said Laura Doering, associate registrar.

“It’s just like a regular semester,” Doering said.

“The weather might be tempting, but we have bright students who are here for a reason.”

Eilbert said she likes that classes are easier and more laid-back in the summer. She also said she likes to live around all of her college friends who stay here.

“I’m living in an apartment again this summer, the same one I live in now,” Eilbert said.

Thomas is also living with friends, but in a different living situation than Eilbert.

“I’m living at Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity again,” Thomas said. “I could live in an apartment, but it’s cheap. It’s definitely not the Ritz, but it has the necessities and all my friends are living there.”

Students also have on-campus housing options for the summer, said Lisa Ludovico, program coordinator for the residence halls.

“Last year, we had Eaton Hall and Frederiksen Court almost filled to capacity,” Ludovico said. “This year, Buchanan Hall, parts of Frederiksen Court and the University Village will be open.”