‘Laughing Wild’ shows connection formed in brief, unique encounter

Very few relationships begin with a dispute over processed white fish. In “Laughing Wild,” this year’s student-run ISU Theatre production, that’s just how a relationship begins and ends.

The play shows the fragmented nature of two individuals’ lives and the unique connection they form in a brief – and somewhat odd – encounter.

The play was written in 1987, around the time many ISU students were born, but director Philip Henry, senior in performing arts, and set manager Cathryn Tell, senior in performing arts, said it is still very timely.

“It deals with love issues that, when the playwright wrote the play, were just beginning and that the society in the U.S. is still dealing with right now,” Tell said.

Two monologues and one playlet comprise “Laughing Wild.” The audience hears from the woman first, played by Kimberly Chelf, sophomore in animal science. Chelf’s character’s mental problems contribute to much of the pain and distortion she feels in life.

Jason Pollard, sophomore in computer engineering, portrays the man, whose story of a troubled childhood may resonate with audience members.

Director Henry said both characters are very disconnected from society.

“They can’t make those relationships with people that you need to survive,” he said.

“Laughing Wild” will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the Maintenance Shop of the Memorial Union. The cost is $4 for students and $6 for general admission.

– Virginia Zantow