Veishea strikes back

Dan Mcclanahan

Veishea executive board co-chairpersons Jessica Lecy and Eric Peterson took control of the airwaves in the studio of 105.1 Channel Q Wednesday afternoon to announce the entertainment lineup for this year’s comeback celebration.

The week’s barrage of entertainment will kick off at 8 p.m. April 19 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union with the finals of “Cyclone Idol.” Hosting the event will be “American Idol” reject-turned-celebrity William Hung, best known for his cover of Ricky Martin’s “She Bangs.” Hung will also be performing at the event.

The April 20 evening festivities will kick off with an outdoor concert in the Frederiksen Court commons from 8 p.m. to midnight. The concert will feature the Damon Dotson Band and Five Times August. Veishea’s 5K race, “In The Running,” will also take place April 20.

Lecy and Peterson said Veishea will feature a Battle of the Bands on Central Campus south of the Campanile from 5 p.m. April 21 to 3 a.m. April 22, highlighting a performance by Local H at 12:30 a.m. A comedy show will also take place April 21, according to a press release.

The show will take place from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. in Hilton Coliseum and feature Dave Attell, one of Entertainment Weekly’s “25 Funniest People in America.” Opening for Attell will be Louis Katz and Jasper Redd. Ticket information is available at Veishea’s Web site, www.veishea.iastate.edu.

“This year’s comedians are dynamic and very entertaining,” said Cody Stamm, Veishea entertainment committee co-chairperson.

“We think that students are really going to enjoy them.”

One of this year’s most anticipated Veishea events will be “Live @ VEISHEA,” an all-night series of concerts that will take place April 22.

The concert event will feature “three big headliners,” said Nate Johansen, also a Veishea entertainment committee co-chairperson. Johansen said the setup will consist of three stages, each highlighting one of three popular genres: country, rock and hip-hop/rap.

From 6 p.m. April 22 to 3 a.m. April 23, all three stages will feature nonstop local and regional acts in their respective genres as well as one nationally known headliner chosen through an online student poll. Big-name acts announced for the concert include Cross Canadian Ragweed, Robert Earl Keen, Nappy Roots and Stroke 9. Other performers announced during the radio broadcast include Dazy Head Mazy, Shevy Smith, Pumptown and So they Say.

The stages will be located in three well-known outdoor locations: The Friley courtyard, the Forker parking lot and the lawn in front of the Campanile. The concerts will be free to the public.

“This year’s celebration offers one of the most diverse groupings of performers Veishea has ever hosted,” Stamm said. “We’re really excited with the music lineup and think we’ve found a great balance of bands to appeal to all listeners.”

Veishea 2006 will also include several other long-lived traditions, including cherry pie sales and the governor’s run.

Lecy said she has high hopes for this year’s Veishea. The committees are all very excited for the celebration and they think their hard work will pay off.

“We’ve been trying to stay true to the traditions of Veishea, and hopefully this year’s new events can become traditions for years to come,” she said.

William Hung to host Cyclone Idol

“She bangs, she bangs!” moaned “American Idol” contestant William Hung, performing an inspired rendition of the Ricky Martin hit to the laughter of the show’s judges. “You can’t sing, you can’t dance, so what do you want me to say?” said “Idol” judge Simon Cowell.

“I already gave my best, and I have no regrets at all,” Hung said.

Although Hung was ousted on Idol, his performance captured the hearts of millions of Americans, making Hung, dubbed “The Hong Kong Ricky Martin,” a household name. After appearing on a string of television programs, Hung’s popularity skyrocketed and landed him a record deal with Koch Entertainment.

His debut album, “Inspiration,” was No. 35 on the Billboard album charts and included covers from a wide range of groups, including the Village People’s “YMCA,” Queen’s “We Are the Champions” and Elton John’s “Rocket Man.”

Now, Hung is set to appear as host of “American Idol” spin-off “Cyclone Idol,” planned for 8 p.m. April 19 in the Memorial Union as part of the Veishea celebration. Hung is also scheduled to perform at the event.

– Compiled from Wikipedia.org Rob Lombardi

Nappy Roots will bring Southern bounce to Veishea

If country is Iowa’s official music, Nappy Roots is looking to bring its Southern spin to this year’s Veishea celebration. The band, which is a hip-hop act with a “down South” feel, has had commercial success with songs such as “Awnaw” and “Po’ Folks.”

Their musical inspirations aren’t unnatural – four of the six group members are from Kentucky. Formed in 1995, the sextet came together when they were students attending Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green. The group consists of Skinny DeVille, B. Stille, Ron Clutch, Big V, R. Prophet and Scales.

Now, with four albums under its belt, Nappy Roots is scheduling to drop a new album this year, “Humdinger,” on Aug. 16. Its distinct sound has also led it to be a part of the soundtrack for the film “The Ladykillers” starring Tom Hanks, an American Music Award Favorite New Artist and Favorite Band, a MTV Video Music Award nomination for the MTV2 Award and a Grammy Award nomination for Best Rap/Song Collaboration.

During the April 22 Veishea music festival, “Live @ VEISHEA,” the band will fill out an already diverse roster of acts spanning many genres.

– Compiled from Allmusic.com by Rob Lombardi

Funnyman Dave Attell brings his off-color commentary to Veishea

Best known for his crude sense of humor and late night hijinks, comedian Dave Attell is bringing his raucous stage act to the VEISHEA Comedy Show. After gaining mainstream popularity from his Comedy Central stand-up, “Crank Yankers” voice work and hit television show “Insomniac with Dave Attell,” Attell was named one of the “25 Funniest People in America” by Entertainment Weekly.

During his “Insomniac” show, Attell visits different cities across America and takes part in peculiar night life events until the sun comes up. His show spawned Dave Attell’s Insomniac Tour, a 2005 comedy tour featuring Greg Giraldo, Sean Rouse and recent phenomenon Dane Cook.

Attell has had commercial success with his album, “Skanks for the Memories,” and a DVD entitled “Hey, Your Mouth’s Not Pregnant!” He since has made cameo appearances on cult-hit television show “Arrested Development.”

The VEISHEA Comedy Show is planned for 9 p.m. April 21 at Hilton Coliseum. Tickets will be available for students on April 1 and for the general public April 8.

– Compiled from Wikipedia.org by Rob Lombardi