Stressed out? Play in the clay.

Samantha Hedum

With seven weeks left in the semester and Spring Break in the past, students may feel there is little to look forward to that can offer some relaxation during a stressful week. By signing up for the Workspace’s Wheel Thrown Pottery course, however, students have the opportunity to reduce stress and make a one-of-a-kind vase or dinnerware.

“It’s mesmerizing,” said Greg Lamont, a local professional clay artist and the class’s teacher. Lamont has taught the class at the Workspace for five years.

“Everybody loves to get their hands dirty. [Wheel thrown pottery] is wet and slippery and gives you a chance to play in the clay,” Lamont said.

FASTTRAK

What: Wheel Thrown Pottery

Where: Workspace of the Memorial Union

When: 6 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, beginning March 23

Cost: $91 students, $96 public

The art of pottery has been grabbing the attention of students at Iowa State and residents of the Ames community.

“Our pottery classes are always in high demand, so we have started offering two to three per semester to catch as many people interested as possible,” said Letitia Kenemer, Workspace director. Only eight people are admitted in each session due to the limited number of potter’s wheels.

Lamont said one does note have to be an artist to make pottery. He said anyone can do it and students can quickly see the results of their efforts.

There are no special skills required and he encourages any interested student to try out the class.

“Unlike many arts and crafts, pottery is very much a physical skill – like learning how to ride a bike. The act can be taught,” he said. “You have to know how to work with the materials and train nerves and muscles to do what you want them to do before you can focus on the design.”

There is a $91 fee for students and a $96 for the general public, which covers the use of basic tools, up to 40 pounds of clay, glaze and kiln firings.

Students will begin by making functional pottery out of a basic cylinder.

They will be taught how to add handles along with lids and spouts to create mugs, cookie jars and teapots. Students will also eventually make bowls, vases, plates and pitchers.

“These classes are geared towards beginners. I begin teaching how to deal with clay on the wheel and I work with students at whatever level they are at,” he said.

Lamont advises students to come to the class prepared for frustration at the beginning.

“Wheel throwing looks easy when an experienced potter can make a lump of clay into a nice-looking pot within minutes,” Lamont said. “Students get discouraged when they find out it’s not that easy.”

Lamont also encourages students to have an eagerness to play around in the mud. “You have to be willing to get dirty,” he said.