Science and Technology Fair lets young students show off

Kevin W. Stillman

In today’s gadget-savvy age of technology, it can be easy to believe modern science has explored every conceivable topic of knowledge. However, the universe still swarms with tantalizing questions and mysteries to be solved. This weekend some of the state’s top researchers will gather at Iowa State to share their insights, not to mention get day off from school.

Friday and Saturday, sixth- through 12th-grade students from across Iowa will come to Iowa State to present original research at the State Science and Technology Fair. The Science and Technology Fair is coordinated by Iowa State University Extension services and tries to pique grade school students’ interest in science, and give student researchers a chance to be recognized and rewarded for their work.

Jay Staker, associate director for education of the Iowa Space Grant Consortium and chairman of the fair board, said participation in the fair is a more focused extension of natural childhood curiosity.

“When you start out in school in first or second grade, I think the first question that comes out about everything you encounter is ‘Why?'” Staker said. “Our goal is to keep that natural curiosity and desire alive and connect that to the scientific way of knowing.”

This year’s fair will feature approximately 370 projects presented by more than 465 students. Projects delve into a broad cross section of science and technology, from robotics and agricultural engineering to stem cell research. Some topics, however, are more popular than others.

“It kind of goes with the cycle of what is in the news,” said Andrea Spencer, the fair’s director. “This year you are going to see a lot of fuel economy type projects.”

Students’ projects go beyond simply becoming familiar with the state of their field. The fair places a strong emphasis on applying the scientific method to conduct new research that may never have been previously explored. Staker said science fair exhibitors benefit from an uninhibited point of view that is sometimes lacking in professional scientists.

“They are not invested in any existing answers or ways of thought,” Staker said.

Many of the most successful students supplement their enthusiasm with the experience of one or more professional scientists. Spencer said students’ initiative to find a professional mentor is often proactive.

“They will just call up the food science department because they have a question with food science and they want to do something related with that,” Spencer said.

Coordinators believe science fair experience can be a head start for students entering college. Heather LeFleur, junior in animal science and special awards director, took part in the fair in junior high and high school before participating as a coordinator. LeFleur said her experience working with a faculty mentor has been invaluable in her college career.

“It taught me a lot as far as communication with professors,” LeFleur said. “Coming into college I use the experience from it all the time.”

Exhibitors are competing for much more than bragging rights. This year the fair will distribute approximately $50,000 dollars in prizes, awards and scholarships. Two individual exhibitors and one group exhibition are selected to represent Iowa at the National Science Fair.

Spencer said visitors to the fair are always impressed by the caliber of research displayed at the Science and Technology Fair.

“I thought I could hold my own with sixth graders, but the fourth was so far over my head it was ridiculous,” Staker said. “He had to talk down to me.”