Iowa State’s accredited status to be reviewed

Fred Love

A report from a team of higher education officials may partially determine the value of a degree from Iowa State.

A decade after receiving its last endorsement from the Higher Learning Commission, a national higher education membership institution, Iowa State is undergoing a process to renew its accredited status as a high-quality university.

The eight-member panel began a three-day, on-campus review process Monday, and an open forum with commission representatives Tuesday in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union gave students and faculty a chance to take part in the accreditation process.

Charlie Nelms, a member of the Higher Learning Commission’s accreditation panel and vice president for student development and diversity at Indiana University, said the accreditation process affects students because it makes degrees from accredited institutions more desirable and allows universities to receive more state and federal funding.

He said the panel will submit its report in 10 weeks.

The commission can grant accreditation for a maximum period of 10 years as it did with Iowa State the last time the university was up for the endorsement.

Members of the panel requested feedback from those attending the forum concerning diversity at Iowa State.

Marc Harding, director of enrollment services for admissions, said universities in other Midwestern states such as Illinois may boast more diverse enrollments than Iowa State. But after taking into account the homogeneity of Iowa’s population, he said Iowa State has made remarkable progress.

ISU efforts, like the Iowa State Conference on Race and Ethnicity held two weeks ago, he said, underscore the university’s commitment to a more diverse educational environment.

Government of the Student Body Vice President Christopher Deal, senior in mechanical engineering, said some of Iowa State’s diversity strength lies in its study abroad opportunities.

Deal said he’s traveled to Spain, Brazil and Australia as an undergraduate at Iowa State, and his experiences in other cultures has enriched his education in the classroom.

Nelms said the panel makes its recommendation based on how well a university meets its mission statement in areas such as academic quality and services.