ISU Dining retains food service

Jared Taylor

Updated 12:15 PM CDT

ISU Dining will not be outsourced to a private company.

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy announced ISU Dining will retain the rights to dining services on campus.

“I believe the decision to continue to work with ISU Dining is the right one, from both a financial standpoint and the demonstrated ability to serve our Iowa State students well and enhance the student experience at Iowa State,” Geoffroy said in a news release. “This is probably the most exhaustive review of campus dining services ever done at Iowa State University.”

According to ISU Dining’s proposal made public on Jan. 9, “ISU Dining’s current management staff will be retained as university employees if ISU Dining is awarded the contract.” The proposal also included a promise to keep student and merit employees on payroll.

ISU Dining’s proposal outlined a plan to add a two-story glass addition to Maple-Willow-Larch that would open in 2009 and begin a renovation of Oak-Elm in 2010.

A $25 million operation, ISU Dining operates residence hall dining centers, retail cafes and convenience stores, catering, vending and the Memorial Union food court.

ISU Dining does not provide concessions at Hilton Coliseum or Jack Trice Stadium and Hazel’s Kitchen at Reiman Gardens, each have separate management contracts.

Look to tomorrow’s Daily for continuing coverage of the dining services announcement.