GSB supports dining workers

Fred Love

As a university committee debates whether to outsource Iowa State’s food service program, the Government of the Student Body passed a bill Wednesday looking out for current student employees of ISU Dining.

The bill contained 10 separate provisions protecting student interests in case the university elects to hire a private food service firm.

Among the provisions, the bill asks that a private firm “inform student employees of the process by which their wages are determined” and “maintain or increase the number of student employees during the contract period.”

The bill also requests that a private firm expand on current nutritional options in addition to accommodating menus for vegetarian students and students whose religious observations demand certain dietary practices.

Inter-Residence Hall Association Senator Katherine Lundberg, sophomore in political science, sponsored the bill and said the need for the measure arose after speaking with ISU Dining employees who complained they hadn’t had an active role in the selection process.

“There’s a lot of student concern that their voices haven’t been heard in this process,” Lundberg said.

In addition to ISU Dining, food service providers ARAMARK, Sodexho and Chartwells are all contending for the contract.

The measure also requests that the Maintenance Shop of the Memorial Union continue to provide alcoholic beverages, even in the event that a private firm changes the venue into a cafe.

“Allowing the M-Shop to serve alcohol lets them continue to attract high-profile, national bands,” Lundberg said.

GSB also passed a bill expressing support for increased police presence in the Campustown area, and the Ames City Council is considering hiring additional police officers for that purpose.

According to the bill, “The Senate expresses its strong support of proactive, relationship-based, non-punitive, pedestrian-oriented law enforcement strategies with respect to the students of Iowa State University.”