Book club to decode novel’s art

Chelsea Koster

Since the release of Dan Brown’s “The Da Vinci Code” in 2003, copies have been flying off the shelves, making the book a New York Times Bestseller for more than 140 weeks.

The book is now being made into a movie of the same name. The movie’s May 19 release date will be counted down at the Brunnier Museum with “The Da Vinci Code Series” that will dig deeper into different areas of the book through documentary showings, speakers and another installment of the Art Book Club.

“We started the Art Book Club last semester and were thinking of ways to expand on that this semester, because most people have read the book and discussed it in some way. We wanted to go beyond that and link it back to the art concepts within the book,” said Amanda Hall, educational assistant and security at the museum, about the inspiration for the program series.

The series officially started with an A&E Biography on Leonardo da Vinci on January 26, and it will continue with a discussion of the book 2 p.m. Sunday at the museum.

FASTTRAK

What: Art Book Club

Where: The Brunnier Art Museum

When: 2:00 p.m. Sunday

Cost: Free

Allison Sheridan, collections management and education specialist, is one of the book’s many fans.

“I read the book two months after it came out and I absolutely loved it. It was captivating and a quick read,” she said. “I would actually recommend reading ‘Angels & Demons’ first because it builds the characters first that you then pick up with in ‘The Da Vinci Code.'”

The discussion of the book will be in a small group, or break into smaller groups after a brief introduction if there is a higher-than-normal attendance. Hall hopes there will be a wide array of people there that liked or hated the novel that will come with questions or parts of the book they want to discuss.

“It will be nice to get a dialogue going on why people liked it or didn’t like it. It’s the same way in art. I’m very excited to see what people will say,” Hall said.

Hall pointed out that book club participants don’t have to have read the book and anyone with an interest or curiosity in the book is welcomed. She said those with strong feelings on the book are especially encouraged to attend.

Other programs coming up in the series include documentaries on the Louvre, architect I.M. Pei and the research which was the basis for Brown’s novel. Dr. John Cunnally, associate professor in art and design, will also lead an investigative look at religious themes in the Renaissance Era. The series finale will be an art museum mystery in which participants will search for clues within the museum’s art pieces.

“I’m looking forward to Cunnally’s lecture,” Sheridan said. “He is a fascinating art historian. I’m interested in how he’s going to tie in fictitious events that happened in the book with actual art history.”

At each of the programs in the series participants will also have a chance to sign up to win a gift basket including a copy of each documentary shown during the series, a hardcover edition of “The Da Vinci Code,” movie tickets to the film and its soundtrack. A winner will be picked after the program series is over.

Hall and Sherida said they believe students will be interested in Sunday’s book club because of the book’s popularity.

“People are interested in things they’re not supposed to know, and the book’s elements are like all the crime shows out now,” said Heidi Rosenwinkel, senior in apparel merchandising and an intern at the museum.

With the popularity of the book now supplemented with an upcoming movie, more people are taking notice. Michael Schrad, junior in advertising, is interested in the book.

“I thought it was interesting how Brown took something as simple as the Mona Lisa and expanded it the way he did,” he said.