LAS Major Fair designed to help students choose majors, minors

Samantha Hedum

The average ISU student has trouble picking a major and usually changes it several times, according to a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences academic adviser. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ Major Fair will be an opportunity for students to learn more about the majors offered at Iowa State.

Dan Rice, liberal arts and sciences academic adviser, and David Gieseke, liberal arts and sciences program coordinator, are coordinating the event.

Rice and Gieseke recognize that changing majors is more common than most people think. They believe the fair is a way for those undecided students to get a better grasp on what they want to do for a career.

FASTTRAK

What: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ Major Fair

Where: Great Hall of the Memorial Union

When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Thursday

Cost: Free
ISU students: $18/$20

“The reason we’re doing this is that essentially, students do change their majors an average of two to three times while in college,” Rice said. “This is a ‘one-stop shop’ to talk about majors instead of having to go all over campus to ask [about programs].”

Kathryn Sorem said it took her a while to figure out what she wanted to major in.

“I have changed my major four times since freshman year,” said Sorem, senior in health and human performance.

“I’m just happy I finally know what I want to do.”

She said that having more information about majors and researching would have helped her decide.

Jennifer Yuva, junior in journalism and mass communication, declared open option as a freshman. She said the fair would have been a good resource to obtain information to help her choose a major.

“I think it would’ve helped me discover more about what is out there and [would have allowed me] the opportunity to see what the different majors are and what they are all about,” Yuva said.

There will be around 60 booths of majors, career services, college representatives and departments from all colleges with personalized information for students available at the fair.

At Iowa State, more than 500 students opt for open option, or undecided, during their freshman year.

Declaring open-option gives students the opportunity to experience different classes and programs.

“Sometimes declaring open option can help make a better decision for a student,” Rice said.

“Once they decide to declare a major, they are less likely to change.”

Rice encourages all students who are undecided or looking for something new to attend the fair.

“If you’re at all questioning your current major, it will be a way to find out all that ISU offers, add a minor and find out what other majors are about,” Rice said.