Silent auction helps raise money for local residents affected by HIV

Samantha Hedum

The 4th Annual HIV Silent Auction on Friday will help many people affected by HIV in the Ames area.

“The biggest problem about people is ignorance about the disease,” Kelly Weikum of Ames said. He recently quit his cafeteria job at Ames High School when he was told he “couldn’t serve food anymore,” after he informed school administrators that he had AIDS.

Not completely sure how he contracted HIV at the age of 35, Weikum, now 46, said it could have been either through an intravenous needle or sex.

He now speaks to high school students about the dangers of unprotected sex and emphasizes abstinence.

“I used to think it’d never happen to me,” Weikum said. “I thought ‘I’m not gay so I don’t have to worry about it.'”

FASTTRAK

What: 4th Annual HIV Silent Auction

When: Comfort Suites, 2609 Elwood Drive

Where: 5:30 p.m. Friday

Cost: $10

Living with HIV can be very difficult to handle at times.

“Basically, I have no immune system and I’m tired a lot,” Weikum said.

“I’ve nearly died a couple of times and wintertime is a scary time of the year with the flu [going around].”

He said he is as healthy as he can be without full support from his immune system.

The proceeds from this weekend’s auction will help him and many others throughout Story County during times in need.

“[The silent auction] is the biggest fundraiser for the ‘Living with HIV’ program,” said program coordinator Janelle Durlin.

The program was formed after Durlin realized the need for a support group that would give families the opportunity to get together with others who are facing the same challenges.

“I saw so many people struggling to come up with gas money to see their HIV specialist,” Durlin said.

Since there is no longer a specialist in Ames, those with HIV must go to Des Moines or Iowa City for checkups.

Healthy people with HIV only need to go once every three months, whereas those who are ill may have to go weekly.

Money raised also helps pay for additional medical expenses, rent, food and utility bills.

Eighty percent of the 100 families that Durlin helps reside in Story County.

“I feel there’s a lack of education in our community regarding HIV,” Durlin said.

“This auction provides a way to educate the public and let them know that HIV is right here in their community.”

Spreading knowledge about HIV to Ames and surrounding areas is important to the program, which is coordinated by the Mid-Iowa Community Action.

“The myth is still prevalent with gays and HIV,” Durlin said.

“I work with many heterosexual individuals young and old [who are HIV positive].”

The auction’s planning committee is made up of people living with HIV, people in the community who care about HIV and ISU students.

“ISU students and professors have supported the auction each year,” Durlin said.

“Without them it would not be as successful.”

Brittany Anderson, sophomore in biology and co-director of the auction, said, “I never personally knew anyone with HIV until I became involved with the auction.

“Not only does [the auction] give them the financial help they need, but also the moral support needed when they see all those who are present at the auction support them.”

One hundred percent of the proceeds go to support HIV families in need.

“So far, we have received 140 donations from community members, businesses and people infected and affected by HIV,” Durlin said.

Donations include gift cards and certificates, services and gift baskets. The auction will be accepting donations until 4 p.m. Friday.

Along with the silent auction, there will be live entertainment and a live auction throughout the night, and Ames Best Pies, 4003 Lincoln Way, will be catering desserts and hors d’oeuvres during the event.

The program has helped Weikum to buy food and medicine, and cover rent expenses on more than one occasion.

He, along with others affected by HIV, will be volunteering at the auction.

“I try not to worry and have fun with life,” Weikum said of his attitude. “I like to think quality over quantity.”