Attorney says driver will plead not guilty

Jared Taylor

The lawyer of the student accused of causing a deadly hit-and-run accident said she will plead not guilty to the charges filed against her.

Shanda Munn, junior in pre-journalism and mass communication, is charged with vehicular homicide, a Class B Felony, and leaving the scene of an accident causing a death, which is an aggravated misdemeanor.

She was released from Story County Jail Saturday morning on a $50,000 surety bond, according to the Story County Clerk of Court.

According to the ISU Police Department, Munn was under the influence of alcohol and attending a party at 4912 Mortensen Road apt. # 513 during the early morning hours of Dec. 3, 2005. Police said after she left the party, Munn was driving and allegedly hit Kelly Laughery, who was a sophomore in pre-business, then fled the scene. Laughery died at Mary Greeley Medical Center later that morning.

Munn’s attorney, Russ Schroeder of Charles City, said she would plead not guilty. He said he does not anticipate a preliminary hearing to be held in the case.

If Munn is found guilty of both charges, she could spend up to 27 years in prison for the two charges and be fined $5,000, although the penalties could be deferred.

Schroeder said Munn contacted police following the accident through his office, but doesn’t remember when the call occurred.

“Shanda Munn, through my office, was the first person to contact the police department,” he said. “I frankly don’t recall when [the call] happened.”

ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger said Schroeder contacted the department the afternoon of Dec. 4, a day after Laughery’s death, but never received any direct calls from Munn.

“[Schroeder] was one of the calls we received indicating that it was believed Munn’s car could be involved and where it could be found,” he said. “This agency has received no communication from Shanda Munn.”

Schroeder’s call was one of multiple pieces of information that led investigators to Munn’s vehicle, Deisinger said.

On Dec. 15, ISU Police identified Munn as the driver of a 1992 Buick Century registered to her and Mark Scott of Lawler. The vehicle was discovered in a garage located at a residence owned by Douglas Munn, 1017 8th St. in Nevada.

Ames Police Cmdr. Randy Kessel said officers first received a call at 4:27 a.m. Dec. 3. After calling emergency rescue and firefighters to the scene, the investigation was turned over to ISU Police, because Laughery’s body was in ISU Police’s jurisdiction.

“[Officers] didn’t know what it was to begin with and went back and found out it was a body,” he said. “They stayed on the scene until ISU [Police] arrived.”

Munn still has not filed an accident report with ISU Police, Deisinger said.

“The law requires the driver of a vehicle to file a report – that did not occur,” he said. “She has filed no report regarding the accident.”

Munn currently is living with family, although Schroeder said he would not disclose further details about whom she is living with or the location.

Annette Hacker, program director for university relations, said as of Monday, Munn is still registered for classes at Iowa State.

“She is registered as a full-time student this semester,” she said. “My understanding is that she has not been on campus this semester; she has been at her home in Lawler.”

Schroeder said it’s important to remember that accidents occur.

“Tragic accidents occur and this obviously is a very sad situation for everyone, especially the Laughery family,” he said.