Students lobby at the Capitol

Fred Love

DES MOINES – Dozens of ISU students joined Board of Regents members and representatives from the other two state universities Wednesday at the Statehouse to lobby Iowa lawmakers to fund the Regents institutions.

About 50 members of the ISU Ambassadors made the trip to the Capitol as part of the third annual Regents Day to encourage legislators to continue funding the Regent’s Partnership for Transformation and Excellence plan, a four-year legislative package that asks for $40 million per year for Board appropriations.

“We’re here because we support these institutions and higher education in general,” said Rachel Geilenfeld, ISU Ambassadors director and junior in political science, during a press conference at the rotunda of the Capitol. “As legislators, it is up to you to support the transformation plan and commit to the future of Iowa.”

On Monday, House Republicans announced their proposal to allocate $6 million to the board for general operations, along with an additional $20 million to fund bioscience research as recommended in the Battelle report, a 2004 study that outlines the state’s potential in bioscience.

The proposal from Republicans has drawn criticism from Democratic lawmakers who support Gov. Tom Vilsack’s proposal that would allocate $20 million for general operations, as well as $25 million for economic development and biosciences.

Rep. Lisa Heddens, D-Ames, said she enjoyed working with the ISU Ambassadors who visited the Capitol.

“It’s impressive to see this big of a group of students,” Heddens said. “I believe [state legislators] take the students’ message very seriously.”

She said she supports Vilsack’s proposed allocations for the Regents.

“Our governor is committed to education,” she said. “He won’t let us go home until we’ve funded the Regents in an acceptable fashion.”

Rep. Jim Kurtenbach, R-Nevada, said he encourages groups like the ISU Ambassadors to visit the Capitol.

“Any group with an interest in what we’re doing should come down to see us,” Kurtenbach said. “I’m glad the students are here. I’m very appreciative.”

He said the Republicans tried to meet the Regents’ priorities when putting together their allocations proposal.

“We try to allocate funds in a fashion to give the greatest flexibility,” he said.

“We try to fund what they say is most important, and the Regents said the Battelle report is extremely important.”

Student Regent Jenny Rokes, who spoke during the press conference, said the state universities need continued state funding to maintain their current quality of education and affordability.

“We know the state budget is tight,” Rokes said. “But to maintain excellence, we need funding.”