Eating disorders discussed during awareness week

Teresa Krug

The National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, with the theme “Be Comfortable in Your Genes,” began Sunday and will end March 4.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health Web site, there are three types of eating disorders: anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge-eating disorder.

FASTTRAK

Eating disorder awareness week schedule of events

Monday: Mirrorless Monday – Multiple buildings across campus will have their mirrors covered in an attempt to get people to value themselves from the inside out. People will be asked to write positive affirmations on the paper as a statement of self-care.

Tuesday: 1:30 p.m. and 7 p.m.: “The Thin Line” – Actress Abigail Rose Solomon will be performing a drama depicting the internal struggle of someone working through an eating disorder. The presentation will be followed by discussion and Q & A with Iowa State’s treatment team (therapist, physician, exercise specialist and nutritionist). The two different performances will be held in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union. Attendees are encouraged to bring a pair of jeans they no longer wear to honor the “don’t fight your genes, change your jeans” theme.

Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Don’t fight your genes, change your jeans – Drop off jeans you no longer wear in the main hall of the Memorial Union. All jeans will be donated to charity.

Thursday: Stop by the tables at the Lied Recreation Athletic Center, grab a smoothie made by nutrition students and pick up some information about Student Counseling Services’ eating disorder services.

7 p.m.: Borders bookstore Q & A – Staff from counseling service and Castlewood inpatient facility in St. Louis, Mo., will be present at Borders, 1200 S. Duff Ave., to respond to questions.

Females are much more likely than males to develop an eating disorder. According to the institute’s statistics, males only make up an estimated 5 to 15 percent of those suffering from anorexia or bulimia, and 35 percent of those with binge-eating disorders.

It is also estimated that 0.5 percent to 3.7 percent of females suffer from anorexia, and an estimated 1.1 percent to 4.2 percent suffer from bulimia. The mortality rate among people with anorexia has been estimated at 0.56 percent per year, which is about 12 times higher than the annual death rate of all other causes of death among females ages 15 to 24 in the general population.

The week is being sponsored by the ISU Student Counseling Services, Castlewood Treatment Center in St. Louis, Mo., the ISU Committee on Lectures and the Government of the Student Body.

For further information see www.scs.iastate.edu or www.nationaleatingdisorders.org.