Dean of library introduces possible student fee

Joe Augustin

Parks Library is currently at a crossroads of being a second-rate facility or one of excellence, according to a presentation made by the dean of the library to the Government of the Student Body.

Olivia Madison, dean of the library, said the library’s current status does have its strengths.

It’s very rare that faculty complain that we don’t have what they need,” she said.

However, because of a 10 percent annual inflation in journal costs and $1.6 million dollars in budget costs over the last five years, the library is dropping fast in its rankings among peer institutions, which include the Universities of Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Madison said the library committee is currently exploring the possibility of implementing a student fee, so that the library could keep up with changing demands from both a financial and student usability perspective. However, before moving forward with such a fee, student support is mandatory, she said.

Madison presented several suggestions as to what the fees could be used for, drawing from examples of peer universities that have implemented a student fee.

Creating new group learning spaces, building a next-generation electronic library, providing more technological service tools to help with class projects and improving community space with a possible coffee shop were among the suggestions.

“I’m crossing my fingers that when you return back next fall, you’ll all be able to get an espresso and I’ll be able to join you,” Madison said.

Drew Larson, business senator, asked Madison if there was a preliminary range of costs for the student fee.

Madison said that the range, although still open to fluctuation while gathering feedback from students, could be $25 to $100. Twenty five dollars would be more realistic to meet core needs, while $100 would help to move the library into excellence, she said.

Schilletter/University Village Senator Phil Hernandez, encouraged Madison to continually inform students about what the fee would contribute to.

“Any forms that you can make to ensure students are aware and will see and feel where their money is going will help,” Hernandez said.

The senate also voted to reduce the funding to the Dinkey feasibility study from $20,000 to $15,000. This money will be drawn from GSB’s Capital Projects account and Senate Discretionary account.