Masquerade bash introduces new atmosphere to museum

Sarette Albin

Museums aren’t just old bones and dusty artifacts, and Brunnier Art Museum is trying to show a whole new side to the University Museums at Iowa State.

The Brunnier Art Museum will be hosting a masquerade ball after last year’s first ever Brunnier Bash.

Jennifer Ohlerking, senior in art and design, has been spending the past two semesters as a volunteer and intern at the museum.

“Many think of museum visits as quiet time to view and reflect on art,” Ohlerking said.

FASTTRAK

What: Brunnier Bash: A Masquerade Ball

When: 7 p.m. Saturday

Where: Brunnier Art Museum

Cost: $4, $5 at the door

“The ball will offer an atmosphere and approach to viewing that is a bit louder and less reserved.”

The idea of a masquerade ball was initially thought of last fall by Allison Sheridan, program assistant for University Museums.

“Some planning began in the final few weeks of last semester. But after a recess for Winter Break, planning went into full force once classes resumed in January,” Sheridan said.

University Museums began planning every aspect of the event soon after making the final decision to put on the masquerade ball. From finding a band and ordering food to organizing the ticket sales and decorations, everyone at the museum has been involved in trying to make the bash a success.

“Much of the work for the event has been done by the student interns and museum employees. We wanted a lot of student input to plan an event that would be attractive to the students as well as to the Ames community,” Ohlerking said.

Heidi Rosenwinkel, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production and a student intern at University Museums, said that the masquerade ball will offer students the opportunity to socialize and experience more of Iowa State’s heritage represented at Brunnier.

“The masquerade ball is our inaugural ‘Brunnier Bash.’ It’s really just another way for students to get involved with the prestigious museum program we have on campus,” Rosenwinkel said.

The Brunnier Bash will be a formal attire event at which participants will have the opportunity to either bring their own mask or make one at the door.

Throughout the evening, various judges will be inspecting the handmade masks to find the best. The winner receives an Apple iPod, donated by Sterling University Housing.

In addition to the competition for the best mask, hors d’oeuvres will be served and music will be provided by band KounterTop and the ISU dance program Orchesis.

“KounterTop is a cover band and was chosen for their following with the students,” Rosenwinkel said.

“They perform in Campustown locations, and we wanted to bring them to the Brunnier for music that the students would enjoy.”

Presale tickets for the masquerade ball are $4 and on sale at the Farm House Museum, Brunnier and the University Museums office. Tickets can also be purchased at the door for $5.

Ohlerking said she hopes the Brunnier Bash will offer something different for students to do on Saturday night.

“We’re trying something new that has never been done here before, and are hoping to make this an annual event,” she said.

“If we get a good response, we would love to continue on the Brunnier Bash event with a different theme each year.”