Fatal hit-and-run results in charges for student Munn

Jared Taylor

More than two months after a deadly hit-and-run collision in Ames, an arrest has been made in connection with the crime.

ISU Police Department officers arrested Shanda Rae Munn, junior in pre-journalism and mass communication at about 6:40 a.m. Saturday, according to an ISU Police release.

Munn was transported to the Story County Jail and was charged with homicide by vehicle, a class B felony, and failing to stop at an accident resulting in the death of another person, an aggravated misdemeanor. Her bail is set at $75,000.

FASTTRAK

Last we knew: Kelly Laughery, sophomore in pre-business, died Dec. 3, 2005, following injuries sustained during a hit-and-run collision on Mortensen Road. On Dec. 15, 2005, ISU Police named Shanda Munn, junior in pre-journalism and mass communication, as the driver of a 1992 Buick Century that struck Laughery, although no charges were filed. Munn had stored the vehicle in a garage in Nevada owned by Douglas Munn.

The latest: Munn was arrested by ISU Police officers Saturday morning and charged with vehicular homicide, a class B felony, and failing to stop at an accident resulting in the death of another person, an aggravated misdemeanor. She is currently being held at the Story County Jail on $75,000 bail.

What’s next: Munn’s preliminary hearing will be held within the next 10 days if she does not post bail and within the next 20 days if she does, Story County Attorney Stephen Holmes said. If convicted, Munn would face up to 27 years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

“We have no doubt about Ms. Munn’s involvement in the incident,” said ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger.

“We’ve reached a point in the investigation where we concluded all interviews and searches and we had necessary evidence to file the charges.”

During the early morning hours of Dec. 3, Kelly Jean Laughery, sophomore in pre-business, died from injuries sustained following a hit-and-run collision along Mortensen Road, south of Wilson Hall. Laughery was walking in the road when she was struck from behind, Deisinger said.

On Dec.15, ISU Police identified Munn as the driver of a 1992 Buick Century that struck Laughery the night of her death.

The vehicle was discovered in a garage owned by Douglas Munn, of Nevada, who was unavailable for comment.

Deisinger said records from the Iowa State Medical Examiner’s Office prove Laughery died as a direct result of injuries sustained from the collision.

“The evidence and witness statements are compelling in terms of her consumption of alcohol and being under the influence and being responsible for Ms. Laughery’s death,” he said.

Michael Shelley, former ISU student, said he had known Laughery since the seventh grade. He said Laughery’s death hit him hard toward the end of last semester.

“School-wise, it hurt my grades completely. When it came to finals, I couldn’t even study,” he said. “She’s probably one of the most missed persons in my life. It’s so hard to believe she’s gone.”

Deisinger said officers interviewed more than 80 witnesses during their investigation.

“Several witnesses placed Ms. Munn at a party,” Deisinger said. “She was consuming alcohol and she was under the influence.”

Story County Attorney Stephen Holmes said Munn could face up to 27 years in prison if she is convicted of both charges. According to chapter 707.6A of the Iowa Code, Munn is being charged with a Class B felony because alcohol could have been involved in the collision and could be fined $5,000.

“The greater offense is the Class B Felony – that’s a 25-year prison term,” Holmes said.

Munn could serve up to two years in prison if she is found guilty of failing to stop at an accident resulting in the death of another person, Holmes said. Both prison terms could be served consecutively, he said.

The hit-and-run case is not the first time Munn has been accused of an alcohol-related offense.

According to Iowa Courts Online, on May 25, 2004, Munn plead guilty to possession of alcohol under the legal age in Buena Vista County. Later that year, on Oct. 14, Munn was found guilty of possession of alcohol under the legal age in Ames.

Crystal Bevans, senior in psychology, said she was Munn’s roommate in an apartment during the 2004-05 school year. She said she knew Munn after living on the same floor with her at Knapp Hall.

Bevans said she and Munn were friends, but they didn’t always get along as roommates.

“She really liked just being goofy and making people laugh and she was a good person,” she said. “Shanda [Munn] was really, really messy and I was more clean.”

Bevans said Munn didn’t always make the most responsible decisions.

“Shanda [Munn] is a careless person in a sense,” she said. “From living with her and seeing how she acts, I can see how she might be one of those people who drive drunk.

“Not to put Shanda [Munn] down, but she doesn’t really seem to take a lot of responsibility in some things, I guess.”

Amy Kafer, sophomore in veterinary medicine, was Munn’s resident assistant when they lived together in Knapp Hall during the fall of 2003. She said Munn was a kind person.

“She was always really friendly and was just a nice girl,” Kafer said.

The tragedy of Laughery’s death and the potential consequences Munn faces if she is found guilty emphasize the importance of not driving drunk, Bevans said.

“I feel really bad about Shanda [Munn] and I can say that honestly,” she said.

“I have an OWI myself, but it really makes me reflect on how f—ing important it is to not drive drunk.”

Knowing an arrest has been made in the case creates security after Laughery’s death, Shelley said.

“It helps knowing someone is going to be punished for what they did,” he said. “It helps the coping part with what’s been done.”

Deisinger said ISU Police worked to maintain objectivity throughout its investigation of the case.

“It’s a horribly tragic situation,” Deisinger said.

“One young woman is dead and the life of another – I assume – is irrevocably altered.”