A fresh start

Fred Love

A pair of ISU faculty members who are also state legislators take different approaches to their dual roles as educators and lawmakers.

Sen. Herman Quirmbach, D-Ames, and associate professor of economics, and Rep. Jim Kurtenbach, R-Nevada, and associate professor of accounting, joined the rest of the Iowa General Assembly for the opening day of the new legislative session Monday, but the two take opposing views on allowing their work at the Capitol to influence their work in the classroom.

Kurtenbach, who is in the middle of his fourth year in the Iowa House, said he tries to avoid discussing his work as a legislator during class to ensure that political biases don’t affect his teaching methods.

“I keep the legislative discussions out of the classroom,” he said. “My belief is that students come to my classes to acquire the technical and professional knowledge of the course I teach, not hear my political views.”

He said he doesn’t think many of his students know he is a politician.

“Very few students realize I’m a legislator, and that doesn’t bother me,” he said. “A lot of students [at Iowa State] aren’t from Iowa. Students’ focus at this time is on their education.”

Quirmbach, who was elected to the Iowa Senate in the fall of 2002, said his experience as a lawmaker contributes to his ability to work with ISU students.

“As an economics professor, I try to use some real-world examples to underscore points we’re making in class,” he said. “A lot of my examples are drawn from public policy.”

He said examples such as fuel prices and balancing budgets hits home with students.

“I try to talk in very concrete policy terms about things that are going on in Ames and the rest of the state,” he said.

Quirmbach, who doesn’t teach any courses while the legislature is in session and does not receive pay from the university during that time, said he works extensively with students.

“A huge portion of my district is made up of college students,” he said. “Every time I campaign for office, I try to include students. I visit dorm meetings and meet with student groups.”

Kurtenbach, who teaches a reduced number of classes while the legislature is in session, said although his district does not include Ames, he makes sure students are treated fairly as a part of his constituency.

“I do have a large number of university faculty members in my district and a large number of community college students and several K-12 school districts,” he said. “I look for a very balanced approach for all Iowans.”