Get ready… Classes start today

Kristen Arneson

With classes starting Monday, the Academic Success Center has some tips to help students manage time wisely so they can stay on top of their work.

Heather Phillips, interim director for the center, said the first thing students should do to be prepared is go to class.

“[It’s] common sense, but very, very important,” she said.

Phillips also referred to the “T-zone,” which is a seating pattern in class that she recommends to all students.

She said sitting near the front or middle of the classroom is most beneficial because teachers can recognize those faces better and it helps the student pay more attention.

Phillips said making a weekly study schedule or a semester-long schedule of dates of papers, projects and exams is another valuable tool.

Located in the Student Services Building, the center also recommends a concept called “back-tasking.”

Back-tasking is a technique of creating a semester schedule for every assignment and exam, and then planning ahead the length of time it will take to complete the assignment or the right time to start studying for the exam.

Attending Supplemental Instruction, going to help rooms and getting a tutor or academic consulting are other ways of getting help from the beginning of the semester.

“In general, don’t wait until midterms to get help,” Phillips said.

For more information, contact the center at 294-6624 to schedule a meeting with an adviser or create a study schedule.